Joining lines (Ctrl+J) disabled with word wrap turned on

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jyoung4

Joining lines (Ctrl+J) disabled with word wrap turned on

Post by jyoung4 »

With the new user interface in 5.0.3, when you turn word rap on, it disables the Ctrl+J shortcut key to join lines. Is this intentional or a bug?

It didn't work that way in 4.73

Jim Young
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I am running 4.73 and Join Lines (CTL-J) IS disabled when Word Wrap is on.
It does not even show as greyed out on the menu, it is totally gone.

Turn WordWrap off, and CTL-J is available.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
jyoung4

More on Joining lines and word wrap

Post by jyoung4 »

My mistake - I verified that Join (Ctrl-J) worked on 4.71 not 4.73. My old laptop with 4.73 on it went back to the great laptop factory in the sky and the really old desktop that I used to check what I was writing about has 4.71 on it.

In any case, it did work on 4.71 with wrap either on or off and I still think it's non-intuitive to have a side effect of turning word wrap on be that Join is disabled. I don't see the point of doing that.

Jim Young
tycho

Post by tycho »

Actually... I use 4.73 and Ctrl-J works *partly* with word-wrap on:

If cursor is on an empty line, or the next line is an empty, Ctrl-J does not work in word-wrap mode - but otherwise it works!

This is likely a bug, but not a big problem.
mikez302

Post by mikez302 »

I am using TextPad 5.2.0, and I'm experiencing the same problem. With word wrap off, the "Join Lines" command works fine, but with word wrap on, it doesn't seem to work. The help file says "In word-wrap mode, this command is not shown on the edit menu, but is still available using its shortcut.". However, I tried pressing Ctrl+J and I don't see any changes. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
Georg

Post by Georg »

mikez302 wrote:I am using TextPad 5.2.0, and I'm experiencing the same problem. With word wrap off, the "Join Lines" command works fine, but with word wrap on, it doesn't seem to work. The help file says "In word-wrap mode, this command is not shown on the edit menu, but is still available using its shortcut.". However, I tried pressing Ctrl+J and I don't see any changes. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
I just upgraded to TextPad 7.0.9 and this problem is still present. :(

Please fit it.
Georg

Post by Georg »

Testing TextPad 8.1.2 and this problem is still present. :(
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

While I think the programmer(s) are not paying attention to bug and improvement reports here the feature "join lines" can easily be done by searching for \n and replacing it with a space using regular expressions.
Georg

Post by Georg »

AmigoJack wrote:[...] the feature "join lines" can easily be done by searching for \n and replacing it with a space using regular expressions.
Thanks for this hint. Such a macro is a good workaround, but:
- Using macro play mode "Play once" it does not work inside a selection.
- Using macro play mode "Play through selection" it does not work without a selection.