Go To (Ctrl-G) and Extend Selection checkbox

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

rossj

Go To (Ctrl-G) and Extend Selection checkbox

Post by rossj »

Hello,

Since updating to TextPad 7.6.2 (32 bit Windows) from 7.6.1, I have had problems with the 'Go To' function. After pressing Ctrl-G to bring up the dialog, the Extend Selection checkbox state seems to be set at random (or at least I can't see the pattern). So half the time when I try to goto a line, chunks of the document become selected. Very annoying. This has never been the case in the past. In fact I was never really aware of the checkbox at all!

I thought this might be a problem with corruption of the configuration so I completely uninstalled Textpad and deleted the data directory, but the problem remains.

Ross
jrudman

Post by jrudman »

I know this is not helpful, but "me too".
Since moving to a new PC and installing 7.6.2 64-bit, I get this annoying problem.
Hopefully it is fixed in the next release.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

We can't reproduce this behaviour in TextPad 7.6.3, so please upgrade to that version and see if it helps.
jrudman

Post by jrudman »

I've been using 7.6.3 for a day now and looks like the issue has gone away.
Which is nice.
Thanks for investigating.
JR
miked

Post by miked »

I'd never had this issue until I updated to version 8.1.1 (from 8.1.0) I've always taken the major versions when they are available so I think I skipped 7.6.2

The Go To box now always comes up with the Extend Selection checkbox checked.

When activated, (Ctrl-G) Focus is on the edit control in the dialog box which is filled with the line number previously jumped from (which is fine) but to not extend the selection means that after a simple Alt-E, you can't just type a line number without refocusing on the edit control, and erasing first. Or if you just go with the extend selection checked and then click anywhere in the file to deselect it's quick enough, until you remember you used to have something you wanted selected.

Sorry, not a good description. If it can't be reproduced, let me know and I'll do a video, bug report etc.

Can't help thinking the fix mentioned below to 7.6.3 broke 8.1.1 (if you know what I mean)

Running on Windows 10 Pro, in-case it's relevant.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Please try renaming the XML file (ConfigState.xml), to see if that solves the problem. Exit from TextPad before renaming the file.

In windows 7-10 it's stored here:

C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\version number.

A new XML file will be created when you start TextPad, but if the problem isn't resolved you can exit again, delete the new file and rename the original file in order to return to your previous configuration.

I hope this helps.
miked

Post by miked »

Thanks for the reply.
I should have said I'd already tried renaming ConfigState.xml (and GuiState.xml) before posting which didn't help. I've just checked again with a fresh ConfigState.xml and can confirm that every time the go-to dialogue comes up (Ctrl-G or Search->Go To..) the extend selection checkbox is checked.
So, as I also have a windows 10 tablet (Dell Venue). I Installed Textpad 8.1.1 on it and it looks like it is just a problem with my main machine, as extend selection is never checked by default on the tablet. I noticed there were no keyboard shortcuts showing (no keyboard on the tablet so fair enough), so thinking I was onto something plugged a keyboard in and still the same (shortcuts showed up, but extend selection checkbox behaves)
Tablet is 32 bit, my main machine is 64 bit so not exactly running the same code.
I have a mate at work with exactly the same hardware (Dell XPS15) and a textpad licence, but he doesn't use textpad every day. His is probably still on 8.1.0 or earlier so I'll see if I can reproduce the problem on his.
I also tried windows tablet mode on and off and that doesn't change things.

It's not a huge problem, but I'll report back.
Winstrand

Have the same problem in v8.1.2

Post by Winstrand »

I'm work with a Windows10 PRO x64.
I had this problem in an earlier version, and that was fixed.
After updating to latest version it has returned.
I have:
- Renamed ConfigState.xml => no change
- Removed all files in same dir => no change
- Tried to reinstal TextPad => no change

I do not know if there is any thing else I can try...
davebaker

Same thing

Post by davebaker »

As for me, I am just about frustrated enough at this damned bug that I'm ready to ditch TextPad altogether.