7.6.2: cannot cancel file search when result line is added

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

AmigoJack

7.6.2: cannot cancel file search when result line is added

Post by AmigoJack »

When searching thru multiple files and a file matches that has no linebreaks (i.e. 8+ MiB) then Textpad needs very long to add this one line to the search results (5+ minutes @ i5-4570 Pentium: you can look at how the line grows and this process gets slower and slower the longer the line gets).

And during this process the search is unresponsive to both hitting the ESC key and hitting ENTER (focus is still on button "Cancel") or clicking on button "Cancel". You either have to wait, or kill the program.

Didn't experience this in earlier version branches (4, 5 and 6.1.3) - looks like a lost functionality.

I cannot really avoid it: when searching files recursively there may also be a text-like file which (due to its nature as serialized cache) just don't has any linebreaks (\n or \r). Well, it would also be the wrong direction - the search window should allow/process input at any time. Because when such a long line is added chances are I want to cancel the search right away at that very moment.