Android/Chrombook app?

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

michael0123

Android/Chrombook app?

Post by michael0123 »

Hi,

I've been using TextPad for years and years. Now that mobile devices, such as phones and tablets and Chromebooks are fairly common, will you be producing a version for these platforms?

I would love to be able to open documents in a local text editor such as TextPad.

thank you,

- michael
christiandittmann41

Textpad on Android or Apple devices

Post by christiandittmann41 »

I think, Textpad is native written in "C". Therefore the problem is to convert the source to Java.

mtSystems (Migration Technology Systems) GmbH Zürich, a daughter of ETH Zurich offers software to do this. I have taken a look to their website www.mtsystems.com. It's interesting what they a doing.

Regardless I suppose that, as we say in Germany: "The devil can be found in the details..." :?

With my little skill in programming I guess there are roundabout 40.000 lines of code to convert. That is heavy...

Christian
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

Ugh. The reason I love TextPad is specifically because it's not a bloated mess of Java.
SoftDad

Re: Android/Chrombook app?

Post by SoftDad »

Drxenos wrote:Ugh. The reason I love TextPad is specifically because it's not a bloated mess of Java.
Yeah. I know a lot of Java apps that continually fail as Java is updated. Some require a particular version of Java and don't work with later versions.

Although I have not gotten into app development for Android, a quick google reveals a slew of C/C++ compilers for it. Of course the system calls would all be different from those for Windows, but porting TextPad should not be outside the realm of feasibility. And hey, for us Android geeks it would be worth paying for. :wink: