Automatically save workspace every few minutes

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

fraserredmond

Automatically save workspace every few minutes

Post by fraserredmond »

Loading the previous workspace when textpad opens is really useful, especially as the workspace saves when it closes.

The one thing that it missing is that if the computer crashes then you're taken back to the last save-point of the workspace -- however old that is.

I hibernate my computer each night, so I only restart textpad about once every few weeks, so on the rare times that my computer or textpad crash then my workspace has been lost.

It seems like it'd be easy enough to have the workspace (if one is loaded) save every 5 or 10 minutes.
mr-b

Post by mr-b »

After a PC crash or power outage, all I want to do is quickly recover my previous working session. Currently I have to use my memory to recall which files I had open, so I'd welcome the ability for textpad to recover the workspace of the most recently open files.

It provides the capability of autosaving edited files every n minutes so why can't this be extended to workspaces?

I also note that the Recent Files list isn't updated regularly either as it's out of date following an unexpected shutdown.
mr-b

Post by mr-b »

Over 2.5 years on and this simple request that would make TP crash-proof (by allowing a multiple file editing session to be continued pre-crash) still hasn't made it into the app. :-(

Would it really be so hard given that autosave exists for files?
Verayth

Post by Verayth »

+1 for this.

Textpad itself has been crashing on me if I have multiple instances open and during normal use or I try to close them all at once. In that case the workspace wouldn't get saved either.
takeos

Post by takeos »

I too have been posting about this since 2013, and am glad that there are others who feel this is important.

With Windows 10 Anniversary Update having upgraded a lot of older system, this issue has become more critical than ever IMHO, because Windows 10 will now restart the system, with loss of all unsaved TextPad data, when you are away and there is a Windows Update restart pending.

I am still on the 7 TextPad branch, and for me this one feature is the one that can convince me to purchase an upgrade and continue to use TextPad. Otherwise, I need to look elsewhere, because the loss of work (caused by Windows, not by TextPad) is unacceptable, and I need to find a way to mitigate it, without reducing my ability to freely take quick notes without having to worry about creating files, saving, etc.