Windows 10 Open File dialog filename focus bug

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bluesix

Windows 10 Open File dialog filename focus bug

Post by bluesix »

Hi,

I've just moved over to Windows 10 using TextPad 7.5.1. There's an issue when using the Open File dialog - when browsing through folders, usually the first file in a list will get focus and displayed in the "filename" field at the bottom of the dialog. Then when you change folders, the filename remains and you get a modal prompt saying "{filename} doesn't exist, create the file?" - If you have multiple files selected (say you did a mass delete), then change folders, you'll get a prompt for each file. Weird.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

This happens in Windows 8.1 also. Most irritating.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

After TextPad displays the Open File dialog box, it has a life of its own, running the Windows Shell (Explorer) in its own thread. Notepad uses the same code, but doesn't prompt to create the selected file, after changing folders. That's exactly how TextPad behaves on good old Windows 7, so there must be a bug in Windows 8.1/10. The difference with Notepad is that TextPad sets the option to create files that don't exist, but that shouldn't happen until you click OK.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
bluesix

Post by bluesix »

Is it possible to not set the CreatePrompt flag? This "feature" is driving me nuts.
Morley

Post by Morley »

This also happens for me (Win10 x64).

Specifically, once I follow a shortcut in the open file dialog, every folder change (including that one) then triggers a modal saying the file doesn't exist and asks if I would like to create it.

Clicking either Yes or No yields the same result: nothing happens.

Every subsequent folder change will present the same dialog.

I have tested both local and network shortcuts, both trigger the issue. No other application on my computer triggers this dialog.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Do any of your other applications allow you to create files with the Open File dialog box? I guess that this use is unusual and nobody at Microsoft has bothered to test it since Windows XP. I'll send them a bug report.

It does work eventually on Windows 10, but sometimes it prompts you 3 times before it gives in and creates the file! TextPad is out of the loop while that's going on.

The Quick Open command (Ctrl+Shift+O) can be used to create a new file, with only a single prompt.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
Morley

Post by Morley »

Interestingly I can create a FOLDER PORTAL on my desktop. I did not know about this before.

I go to the OPEN drop down in TextPad then path to the directory on the other computer I wish to access. While this Window is open I hover over the network directory with my mouse and while holding down the ALT key I drag the mouse to my desktop and it creates a "FOLDER PORTAL" which displays the contents of that network folder. Once created I can open any txt file with out the .lnk annoyance coming up.

Will try this for a while. Good for all applications.
bluesix

STILL HAPPENING IN v8

Post by bluesix »

Argh - I just PAID to upgrade to version 8 thinking maybe this bug would be fixed but nope - it's still there! How is it that TextPad is the ONLY app I've ever used on Windows 10 that does this - it's an extremely frustrating distraction.
acastles

Post by acastles »

I have to agree. As someone who uses the keyboard a lot for navigation within the "file > open" dialog, this is incredibly frustrating, once you move the selection over a file it's name appears in the "File name" box and then moving into a sub folder causes the message to appear. As mentioned, it seems to be a problem with the usage of the "file > open" dialog box in Windows 10 (and from what I've read, Windows 8) as it was never a problem in Windows 7.

Would love it if this problem could be resolved.