long freeze/delays with save on local (C:) drive

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

caschulz

long freeze/delays with save on local (C:) drive

Post by caschulz »

TextPad 7.5.1 (64-bit), Windows 7 Enterprise, 64-bit version.
I can save changes instantly on a network drive, but not on local C drive.
Save on local drive (C:\...) e.g. My Documents folder, hangs for up to 30 seconds with "Writing: C:\..." in status bar, then after save, cursor doesn't unlock for typing for up to 30 seconds more.
Notepad saves instantly on the same local file, so it is not a problem with indexing, write caching, or permissions.
I don't have this problem on another PC with older TextPad 32-bit version.

Uninstalled, installed 32-bit version, same freeze/delay.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Are you running any other software that may be interfering with TextPad? You could also try temporarily turning off your antivirus software to see if that is having an effect.
caschulz

Post by caschulz »

Virus SW is low-profile on corporate PC, I can't actually turn if off. But didn't have this problem on previous PC with same virus SW and previous TextPad.

TextPad is working fine on H (net) files, so not sure how other SW would delay just writes to C, but not H. Don't think its a virus SW or disk problem since Notepad writes to same C files fine.
caschulz

Post by caschulz »

I have checked various other things, error-checked and defragmented disk (no errors, only was 10% defragged anyway). But those wouldn't explain why NotePad and Word can save immediately on the same C drive file, but TextPad delays for up to 30 seconds.

No one else seeing similar problem?
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

Running TP 7.5.1 64-bit on W7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit.
Saving to C:\Users\myname\Downloads is as fast as notepad.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

When I'm twiddling with very large files, several hundred MB or larger, I experience a noticeable slowdown on the network. As such, I first copy big files locally, then work on them. This is what I would expect.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
caschulz

Post by caschulz »

Large files on network is not the issue; small files are slower locally than on the network.

But the Downloads location gave me a clue. I hadn't tried that location, and noticed that first save on a new local location is immediate, but later cannot update that same file without delays. So maybe there is an index running from Windows Search or my Connected Backup client that interferes with TextPad but not Notepad. More things to check...
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

Glad to have given an idea.

FWIW If you are part of a network domain running Active Directory then not all that appears "Local" is physically local. E.g. C:\temp may be on your hard disc but C:\Users\yourname\documents may be ona geographically remote network disc.
caschulz

Post by caschulz »

My documents are at C:\Users\schulz\Documents, but C: is a SSD. Maybe SSD writing is an issue, I didn't think of that before?
martinlooker

Post by martinlooker »

Hi,

Just to add I am also seeing this problem, seems to be a recent problem that has started happening this week (without a change in my Textpad version), it is happening on the latest v7, v6 and v5 but not in other editors when saving the same file.

My setup is pretty much the same as the original poster: Win 7 Enterprise, SSD local drive.

So if anyone comes up with anything I'd be very grateful as it is driving me mad.

Regards, Martin.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Have you installed any Windows updates recently? If so, ensure they are fully installed by rebooting your computer. If the problem still persists, try uninstalling any recent Windows updates and see if that has any effect on saving files.
martinlooker

Post by martinlooker »

Unfortunately this is on a corporate PC where I don't have the ability to turn off AV or uninstall Windows updates.

I think I found a workaround by altering the configuration to ignore changed files (I'll need to do some more editing to be sure this works).

But it is only a partial solution because I do actually rely on this feature as I sometimes alter files I have open in textpad elsewhere. Also worth adding that when I have it set to prompt me for a changed file the prompt does not appear - so it does not appear that the file is actually changing but the monitoring of the file for changes is causing some sort of issue.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

I think you should try speaking to your System Administrator and explain the problem you are having, because the the most likely cause of this type of issue is some kind of interference by antivirus software.

You could rule out problems with other software by rebooting in recovery mode and see how TextPad behaves under those circumstances.
caschulz

Post by caschulz »

As mentioned above, I don't think anti-Virus SW is a likely cause: that would not explain why NotePad, WordPad, Word can write to the local C: files fine, just TextPad has the delay.
Windows Updates also are not an issue, I am current, have rebooted, etc.

With another SSD user having the same problem, I now think it may have something to do with how updates are mapped internally to TextPad, so that internal design may have more of an issue with SSD write delays or garbage collection than other editors.
caschulz

changes in new version?

Post by caschulz »

Has anyone tried 7.6 or 8.0 with an SSD?
Any improvement?