Allow multiple instances and the context menu

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

rcourtois

Allow multiple instances and the context menu

Post by rcourtois »

In my TextPad preferences "Allow multiple instances to run" is unchecked. The other day, I noticed that I had two instances of TextPad running. After this happened a few times, I realized why:

It looks like starting with TextPad 7.5.0, the context menu now has two options for TextPad:

Open with TextPad
Open in existing TextPad session >
  • I hadn't noticed the new Open in existing TextPad session option because I was so used to just right clicking and moving up the Open with TextPad option. If TextPad is configured to not allow multiple instances, should the context menu just have the one "Open with TextPad" option which would open the file in the existing instance of TextPad?

I just updated to TextPad 7.5.1 (32 bit version) and the context menu still has both options. Is this intentional in the case where only one instance of TextPad is allowed? It just makes it take a little longer to open a file not normally associated with TextPad because you have to deliberately select the current instance off of the sub menu.
Mike A.

Post by Mike A. »

I have the same problem.

This seems to be a bug that was introduced with the "New Explorer context menu command to open a file in a particular instance" enhancement in TextPad 7.5.0 (14-May-2015).

Unchecking the TexPad preference "Allow multiple instances to run" should require that "Open with TextPad" context menu option always use the existing session. The "Open in existing TextPad session" context menu option should be removed as only one instance should be allowed.

Please fix this!
terrypin

Post by terrypin »

Same here. Baffled by seeing two instances after upgrading to 7.5. Thanks for posting the diagnosis.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
tbeaulieu

Same problem

Post by tbeaulieu »

After the last update I applied I'm getting multiple instances regardless of the mentioned setting.

I never want multiple instances and it used to be so simple!

Please fix!
ech3

Post by ech3 »

Same. I have the 64 bit edition of 7.5.1.

If this is a "feature" it's not well thought out.
jakshin

Post by jakshin »

Good news: In TextPad 7.6, with "Allow multiple instances to run" unchecked, the "Open with TextPad" context-menu item re-uses a running instance. Thanks, Helios, for fixing this!
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

Broken again in 8.x
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

I can confirm that if you install TextPad 8.0 and 7.6 in that order and then select the Context Menu option in v8.0, the Open in TextPad command does not work. A workaround is to uninstall both editions of TextPad and then reinstall 7.6 first.

Before doing that, uncheck the Context Menu option and close all instances of Explorer, so that a restart won't be necessary to delete ShellExt64.dll.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
kevinrtaylor

Broken again?

Post by kevinrtaylor »

The "Open in existing TextPad session" context menu option seems to be missing in TextPad 8.2.0
jonmcg

Post by jonmcg »

I am running 8.2 on windows 10 and cannot stop multiple instances running. v7 was never installed.
lklawrie

Post by lklawrie »

I use that context option everyday (to open in existing session). If it's gone, I will revert to an earlier V8.
Linda
lklawrie

Post by lklawrie »

except it won't let me install over a newer version.

HEY SUPPORT. WHERE ARE YOU?
Linda