Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit version

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

charlesmeaden

Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit version

Post by charlesmeaden »

I've got 7.1 32 bit installed in the G:\Program Files\TextPad 7 directory.

Does anyone know if I can just install the 64 bit version directly over the top of it or is going to be seperate install.

Have a lot of macros and clip libraries, so it would be good to know...
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

Trying to remember when I switched over to 64 bit, but it was probably right around 7.1 or 7.2

I just installed and went for it. There were a couple of issues that haunted me until 7.4, and since 7.4 it's been rock solid in 64 bit.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
DeadAgain

Post by DeadAgain »

I have been running Textpad for many years. I would like to upgrade to the latest 64-bit version for my Win7 workstation but every time I attempt it I lose all of my settings.

I have tried every possible combination of starting with Textpad 5.1.0 to 6.22 to 7.4 32/64 bit. When I get to textpad 7 all of my settings are lost. MRU files, font/color/syntax/filetype, toolbar settings, everything. I clear out all TextPad entries from my Registry every time I attempt this, except for some of the Notepad replacement settings. I have a .reg file, this is a regedit export from HKEY_CURRENT_USERS\Software\Helios and I use that as my starting point.

For now I am at 6.22 and will work with this until I find a solution. I have performed extensive customizations on TextPad settings and I would like to get to 7.4 64-bit with all of my settings intact. Can someone recommend a way to make this happen?
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

Everything moved out of the registry, I think with version 6.x

Go from 5.1 up to 5.4.2

Reboot

Then go to 6.5, and see if your settings make it over
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

Have you tried going 6.22 to 6.5, then 7.4 32 bit?
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
DeadAgain

Post by DeadAgain »

I have not tried either approach. So 5.4.2 and 6.5 were the magic numbers -- releases that handled this well?

Why 7.4 32-bit, is that a better precursor to 7.4 64-bit than 6.5?

Edit: I think I see, you are suggesting that I install the latest of each major release -- presumably based on the assumption that they should be the most stable and the upgrade paths "most tested", true?
DeadAgain

Post by DeadAgain »

Successfully updated to 6.5. Waiting for feedback as to whether the update to 7.4 should be to the 32 or 64 bit version.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I would try the 32 bit version of 7.4 first, then the 32 to 64 bit upgrade of 7.4

However, understand that results can vary, and anything from Group Policy to Local Admin rights could cause software installs to behave in "interesting" ways.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.