Minor problem when upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit TextPad

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

dvdvnr

Minor problem when upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit TextPad

Post by dvdvnr »

I have created my own syntax definition files with different names to those normally supplied (mainly so that they don't accidentally get overwritten).

When upgrading from 32-bit TextPad to the 64-bit version on Windows 7 (and, I presume, on Vista and 8.x as well) these definition files don't get copied across to the new installation directory of: C:\Program Files\TextPad 7\system

Instead you need to manually copy them from: C:\Program Files (x86)\TextPad 7\system

It would be nice if the upgrade checks for these during installation (via the ConfigState.xml file) and copies them across as well. At least, the upgrade doesn't completely wipe the old directory.

Cheers
David
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

To adhere to Microsoft's rules for what goes where, TextPad's default folder for user files on Windows 7 and 8 is:

C:\Users\<user-name>\AppData\Roaming\Helios\TextPad\7

(Note that you may have to enable Windows Explorer's hidden files option to see that folder.)

This is the same for 32-bit and 64-bit programs, so no copying is necessary, until TextPad's major version number changes.

See "Installing TextPad", in the online help file, for more information.
dvdvnr

Post by dvdvnr »

Aha, thanks - I hadn't realised the syntax definition files would also work from the Users directory as well!