Error 267 opening pipe to PLUMB.EXE (TP 7.0.9 on Win7 64bit)

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

brookh

Error 267 opening pipe to PLUMB.EXE (TP 7.0.9 on Win7 64bit)

Post by brookh »

I've been using TP forever, but this is the first time I've tried to run an external tool. If I configure the following tool in preferences, it works correctly:

Code: Select all

"C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\Sandbox\Visual Studio Projects\rndpw\Debug\rndpw.exe" 12 12
But if I try to tun it with the Tools / Run... command, it fails:

Command: "C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\Sandbox\Visual Studio Projects\rndpw\Debug\rndpw.exe" 
Parameters: 12 12
Initial folder: "C:\Users\IBM_ADMIN\Documents\Sandbox\Visual Studio Projects\rndpw\Debug"
With or without the DOS Command option checked, it always returns:

Error 267 opening pipe to PLUMB.EXE
It does not appear to be handling the embedded space in the command or directory paths correctly in spite of the double quotes. Error 267 is ERROR_DIRECTORY: The directory name is invalid.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Plumb error

Post by bbadmin »

TextPad expects to find plumb.exe in the system subfolder of its installation folder. It is placed there by its installation program, so you could try reinstalling TextPad.

Please also check that you have not accidentally created a copy of textpad.exe on your desktop, rather than a shortcut link.
brookh

Post by brookh »

I'm pretty sure this is a bug. I searched the forums before posting and saw that advice repeatedly, but it does not apply.
  • 1) the command works from preferences, which means it could find plumb.exe in that context. The error only occurs with the "Run..." dialog.
    2) I did verify that I'm running TP from a properly configured shortcut and not a copy of the EXE
    3) I also verified that plumb.exe is in "C:\Program Files (x86)\TextPad 7\system\plumb.exe"