Download problems for V7?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

lklawrie

Download problems for V7?

Post by lklawrie »

Tried from two browsers. Get no download and sometimes:

You have reached your download limit for this file. Try again later.
Linda
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Linda,

There were a lot of sites in the Far East that were repeatedly downloading TextPad files all day, every day, so we now only allow one download of a given file to each IP address, until a timeout period has elapsed. Any attempt to download before that period has elapsed results in the message "You have reached your download limit for this file".

Otherwise, there are no known problems at our end that should prevent you from getting a download, so please try again after a couple of hours. If you still have problems, contact technical support, and ask them to email you a copy.
lklawrie

Post by lklawrie »

Same problem -- yesterday to today. That seems like adequate time for a non-timeout.
Linda
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

When you contact technical support, let them know your IP address, so we can check if a permanent block has been placed on it.
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

BBAdmin, does your download limit allow for downloaders that open multiple streams, such as FireFox? I too had to try many times over a period of about a week before I was successful. I was irritated.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

All TextPad downloads use HTTP which, as far as I know, doesn't provide a mechanism to download non-video files in multiple streams, as that would require the ability to seek to any point in a file. However, different files can be simultaneously downloaded to a single IP address.

Could the problem be caused by a Firefox add-on which is pre-emptively downloading all files in the background, in anticipation of you wanting one of them? If you then click on a download link, that may interrupt the background process and cause the download to restart. That would increment the download counter for that file, and block it until the timeout expires.

A workaround for that would be to right click the file you want and choose copy link location and paste that somewhere safe. Then, when the timeout has expired, paste that link into the address bar of your browser, instead of revisiting the download page.
Christopher_G_Lewis

Post by Christopher_G_Lewis »

My god this is idiotic.

First of all, when you download the zip file, its got a setup file that's located in the Temp Internet folders, and you CAN'T run it correctly with UAC. So typically, I cancel the download, re-click and let the 304 not modified work (which you are supporting, correct???) so I'm actually not re-downloading, just hitting the web server for the header.

You'd think you could configure the ban on the second or third download, or you'd use some sort of mirror, but geez.