Please have Ctrl+Tab go through the tabs in order shown

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

robertcollier4

Please have Ctrl+Tab go through the tabs in order shown

Post by robertcollier4 »

Please have Ctrl+Tab go through the tabs in order that they are shown. (Not by most recent).

Please also have the documents on the Document Selector shown in same order as shown in the tabs.

Thank you for a great product.
markbravington

Post by markbravington »

Yes yes: please!

Also: Shift-Ctrl-Tab should go through in reverse order.

This feature ("sane tab order") has been requested a number of times by different people. There is no way to emulate it via macros/bindings (or wasn't, as of TP 5). Despite at least 3 major releases Helios hasn't done anything or even (typically...) responded-- being a TextPad user can be pretty frustrating sometimes :/
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Please do not remove the ability to use the keyboard to bring documents to the front in reverse Z-order. This is essential to my way of working. When I switch document windows I usually switch to a window that I was looking at not long before.

One of the big advantages for me of TextPad is that it is an MDI application, which can accommodate many resizable overlapping document windows within a single application instance. If you use TextPad in this way, you cannot use tabs. And if you have 50 or 100 document windows open, there would be too many tabs for them to be of much use anyway.

But please fix the long-standing bugs in the current implementation of document switching. For example, if When files are modified by another process is set to Auto-Reload, and if another process modifies a file open in TextPad, and if that file's window is not active, then when you activate it, whether or not you ask TextPad to reload it, it loses its place in the Z-order.