wikipedia.syn much needed

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Brikface

wikipedia.syn much needed

Post by Brikface »

Yes, a syntax def. file for Wikpedia markup would be greatly appreciated, whether by Helios or a contributor. The idea is to paste wikified text from the browser's edit-box into a Texpad page that would supply the decoration (in fact, this might be a different challenge from other syntaxes-- it would be inefficient to save the file at all, so Textpad needs to recognize it as Wikitext coming in & decorate it there and then). When user is done, he/she selects-all and copies/pastes into Wikipedia editbox, all without ever saving file in TP.

Hmm-- now that I've thought it through -- it wouldn't be a syntax def file at all. It would need to be a Textpad feature or an add-on (or maybe a big macro).

-
Bf
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

I've never dealt with the wiki markup stuff but perhaps the Paste as HTML feature will get you started as it will recognize HTML tags and then you can write a parsing script to provide the appropriate markup.
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
frnkoa

Post by frnkoa »

There is only one problem with using Textpad to edit Wikipedia pages. Many Wikipedia pages contain links to the equivalent article on the Japanese, French, German, etc Wikipedia. As you can imagine these links often times contain Unicode characters. If you copy the page source to Textpad, edit, and the copy back into the edit box the Unicode characters will be replaced by boxes; hence screwing up the inter-language links on Wikipedia. Once again, Unicode support (or at least, not screwing up Unicode characters it doesn't understand) is needed.
Brikface

Post by Brikface »

frnkoa wrote:If you copy the page source to Textpad, edit, and the copy back into the edit box the Unicode characters will be replaced by boxes; hence screwing up the inter-language links on Wikipedia. Once again, Unicode support (or at least, not screwing up Unicode characters it doesn't understand) is needed.
wow I didn't realize this. This happens even if the text is never saved in TP? If so-- Helios, would you consider adding a fix to your next incremental release? And that would be: simply, if possible, leave Unicode alone in an unsaved file (I say "if possible" because I suppose a new unsaved Textpad document has taken on default properties which probably enforce a char set-- but when text is copied back to the clipboard previous to saving maybe you can ensure it's the same encoding it came in with).

--
b
A bit iffy

Post by A bit iffy »

I too would like TextPad to be able to handle wiki mark-up (including the unicode interwiki links) as I do a large amount of Wikipedia editing.
hillsc

Post by hillsc »

Hmmm... Interesting idea. I may give this a shot!

Although, if anyone else gets to it first, I hope the file is called mediawiki.syn and not wikipedia.syn.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

I took would like this.
hillsc wrote:I hope the file is called mediawiki.syn and not wikipedia.syn.
... only if wikipedia syntax is precisely equivalent to mediawiki syntax.