TP 7.0 Find in File changes?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MudGuard

TP 7.0 Find in File changes?

Post by MudGuard »

I don't see any hint in the release notes, but to me it seems that Find in Files has changed:

1. the file/folder that is currently searched is no longer displayed in the status bar. Thus you can't see progress - especially if there are no matches

2. Tomcat logfiles are no longer searched (while tomcat is running). The file name is displayed together with
WARNING - cannot open

I preferred the way TP 6.2.2 (and many prior versions) handled Find in Files ...
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Find in Files now runs in a separate thread, so that you can carry on doing other things while it works. (Now added to the release notes.) If it continued to display its progress on the status bar, that would overwrite other potentially useful information, so we decided not to do that. If we get enough demand, we can always reinstate that feature.

Files are opened in shared read mode. Does Tomcat need write access?

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
ACRobin

Post by ACRobin »

It would be nice if there were some indication it was processing the search such as a counter incrementing during the search and total found at end; and if it cycled between different colours for display(count displayed in green, next time run result in black......) than you would be able to see if it was a new search - sometimes the search is so quick I do the search twice in case it did not work or I missed the command button with the mouse click.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

bbadmin wrote:Find in Files now runs in a separate thread, so that you can carry on doing other things while it works. (Now added to the release notes.)
Ah, that's nice (both the separate thread and the addendum to the release notes).
bbadmin wrote:If it continued to display its progress on the status bar, that would overwrite other potentially useful information, so we decided not to do that. If we get enough demand, we can always reinstate that feature.
Just as an idea:
You could add a field to the bottom of the Find in Files dialog and display the currently searched file there.
There should be no other processes putting info there, so there would be no danger of overwriting things.

bbadmin wrote:Files are opened in shared read mode. Does Tomcat need write access?
Yes, Tomcat writes into these log files.

Up to 6.2.2 the files were searched, only since 7.0 the Tomcat log files are no longer searched but give a warning.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

You could add a field to the bottom of the Find in Files dialog and display the currently searched file there.
The problem with that is that the dialog box can be closed while the search is running, to make it easier to get on with other things. One change that has been made for the next release is to show the busy cursor when the mouse is over that dialog box and a search is in progress. We thought about doing that with the Search Results window as well, but that might imply that you couldn't double click on a result to open the corresponding file.

We'll also allow write access, to fix the problem with Tomcat. Thanks for reporting it.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

bbadmin wrote:
The problem with that is that the dialog box can be closed while the search is running, to make it easier to get on with other things.
In that case - I'd say - the user is not interested in the "progress" output, so don't care ...
Kiwi6469

Put progress in the Find-in-Files dialog

Post by Kiwi6469 »

I enthusiastically agree with MudGuard; put the progress in the diaglog. If the user closes it, they are explicitly saying they are not interested in progress.

And, while you are at it, make the dialog a real sizable frame - it's way to small at present.

And too, while you are at it, maybe you could fix the problem of it positioning itself off the screen if the main is moved between showings (it seems to record position relative to the top/left of the window, which means if you move the top/left of the main window to the right, the dialog position moves along with it until it's off the screen). Easily replicated by positioning it near the right of the screen, closing it and then moving the main window right - go far enough and the find window is no longer visible when you open it.
MudGuard

Re: Put progress in the Find-in-Files dialog

Post by MudGuard »

Kiwi6469 wrote:And, while you are at it, make the dialog a real sizable frame - it's way to small at present.
At the bottom right corner of the dialog there are some diagonal lines.
Click and drag on these lines to resize the dialog.
acastles

Post by acastles »

MudGuard wrote:
bbadmin wrote:
The problem with that is that the dialog box can be closed while the search is running, to make it easier to get on with other things.
In that case - I'd say - the user is not interested in the "progress" output, so don't care ...
Just to add a "me too" for this issue. Having the current file shown in a status bar of the "file in files" dialog would be a perfect solution. I too miss it greatly.

Andy