Keyboard shortcuts for Find & Find/Replace

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

plogan73

Keyboard shortcuts for Find & Find/Replace

Post by plogan73 »

While I like many things about TextPad, the shortcut keys to execute a Find and Find/Replace operation is driving me crazy. The default keys to perform these actions from the beginning for PC-DOS, MS-DOS, OS/2 & Windows has been Ctrl+F for Find (with F3 for Find Next) and Ctrl+H for Find/Replace. If you must leave the current F5 and F8 as they are, PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE make an option available under Preferences to let the user pick whether or not to use F5 for Find or change to Ctrl+F (Find Next should then be F3) and also have the option to substitute Ctrl+H for Find/Replace in place of F8. Thanks for listening! :D
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Keyboard shortcuts are already configurable!

Configure - Preferences - Editor
contains a dropdown, where you can preselect a set (I suggest Microsoft Applications, which uses Ctrl-F for Find, F3 for Next, Ctrl-H for Replace, ...)

If this is still not what you need, you can go to
Configure - Preferences - Keyboard
and assign all the keys you want to whatever command.

(I can't really understand why some people complain about missing configuration options - obviously without having had a look at what configuration options are available ...)
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Never heard of Ctrl-H -- Ctrl-R has been consistently the search and replace keyboard shortcut.
And Sh-F3 for backward find next.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Aeneas wrote:Never heard of Ctrl-H
Never used Word? Excel? PowerPoint? Visual Studio?
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

ak47wong wrote:
Aeneas wrote:Never heard of Ctrl-H
Never used Word? Excel? PowerPoint? Visual Studio?
I would assume Ctrl-H was Help as would most people. I am sure that crossed the minds of recent Microsoft designers, but they chose to go for consusion, it appears. Maybe they like training people for cash, rather than that intuitive thing MS Word 2.0 had.
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

I use F3 for find, F4 for find-next, F2 for find-previous, F5 for replace, and shift+F5 for replace-next.

I also use shift+F2/F4 for find-prev/next, so I don't have to let go of the shift when running through multiple replacements, and want to skip some.