Opening a file with spaces in the file name from filexplorer

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

valo@vtmelamed.com

Opening a file with spaces in the file name from filexplorer

Post by valo@vtmelamed.com »

I have TextPad 6.2.2 on fresh Windows 8 Pro. When I double-click a file with spaces in the file name in file explorer, TextPad displays a series of dialog boxes each asking if I want to create a file with a name for each of the words in the file name. E.g. if the file is called "File Name.txt" TextPad wants to create a file called "File" and then a file called "Name" but does not open the file.

Please help.
Thank you
Val
dforrest

Re: Opening a file with spaces in the file name from filexpl

Post by dforrest »

valo@vtmelamed.com wrote:I have TextPad 6.2.2 on fresh Windows 8 Pro. When I double-click a file with spaces in the file name in file explorer, TextPad displays a series of dialog boxes each asking if I want to create a file with a name for each of the words in the file name. E.g. if the file is called "File Name.txt" TextPad wants to create a file called "File" and then a file called "Name" but does not open the file.

Please help.
Thank you
Val
I am having the same problem when I right-click on a number of files and try to open them.

David
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Configure - Preferences - General.

Un-check "Allow multiple files on the command line"
PCPete

Post by PCPete »

Erm, I hate to be a party pooper, but I need Textpad to open multiple files from a command-line, AND I need to be able to double-click on files with spaces in their names as well.

Is there a fix for this behaviour?

I would imagine that if there was only one period on the command-line string passed to Texpad, then it would be pretty safe to assume that it was a single file. Not foolproof, I know, but then I'm a pretty smart fool! :shock:

I'd also assume that the presence of more than two quotes in the string would be a pretty good indicator that there are multiple files...

And my logic would say that if the path already exists when the open dialog is called, then it's a singe file being opened in "multi-file" mode.

These are all quick-and-dirty fixes, of course. And there's nothing anyone can do about the open dialog's behaviour once it's been called, unless you hook the callback and have your own open dialog duplicate.

But this behaviour has existed since before time began, or at least since I bought my TP license in 2002 or whenever it was. Maybe it's time to revisit it and make it less complicated... At least then you'll only have WTF requests from people trying to do the wrong thing entirely! Win-win! :)
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

When a file with spaces in its name is double clicked, Explorer passes it to the associated application with quotes around it, so there is no ambiguity. Unfortunately, the Send To command simply space separates a list of filenames, which can be very ambiguous. That's a "feature" which Microsoft would have to fix.