Have macros been made "portable"?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

geoffreykidd

Have macros been made "portable"?

Post by geoffreykidd »

So they can travel from machine to machine? I'm all-portable, since I need my textpad settings at home and work, but macros don't carry, at least in 6.1.3.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Macros always were portable - they are stored in files - one macro per file.

Configure - Preferences - Folders
tells you in which folder they are stored/expected.
geoffreykidd

Post by geoffreykidd »

It will work for me, since I run TextPad between work and home machines and it's *always* my "K:" drive. I can't specify the drive letter/directory relative to the directory from which TextPad is running, which I regard as "true portability," but, as noted, it will work well enough.

Thank you.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

I have a licensed personal copy of TP at home, but a licensed copy at work that I persuaded them to buy. My Macros are at C:\blah-blah-blah#1 at home but at C:\blah-blah-blah#2 at work.

I am not following the problem. Each separate installation of TP can have the Macros in different locations.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.
wangna

Post by wangna »

So they can travel from machine to machine? I'm all-portable, since I need my textpad settings at home and work, but macros don't carry, at least in 6.1.3.

bixing
geoffreykidd

Post by geoffreykidd »

That's why I did what I did. My portable drive is always set to be the "K:" drive on my home and work machines, then I configured the macros to be stored in K:\Textpad\Macros\
geoffreykidd

Post by geoffreykidd »

geoffreykidd wrote:That's why I did what I did. My portable drive is always set to be the "K:" drive on my home and work machines, then I configured the macros to be stored in K:\Textpad\Macros\
And it doesn't work. I have one macro in the directory, but now it shows as grayed out both at home and work. I *reallyreallyrelly* need that macro to work in both places.

What have I done wrong and how do I fix it, please?