Why Do We Love Textpad?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

jeffy

Post by jeffy »

I'm still using TextPad after ten straight years, more than that, even though there's only been about a year-or-so-worth of major updates. That says something. Positive I mean. I'm still using it as my ONLY development environment despite.

I'm no longer caring about editable macros. As Bob Hansen has shown me the light of Macro Scheduler (which led me to discover PhraseExpress, which I use for 99% of my macros now...many thousands of macros--no exaggeration), I simply don't need to edit TextPad macros any more.

Now I DO need macros in TextPad! And the 64-limit is still-and-always-has-been ridiculously low...but my TextPad macros, which are orders of magnitude faster, are only to there facilitate my more complex PhraseExpress macros.

(Speaking of which, within the next few months, I have a rather large and nice surprise in store for a whole lot of you TextPad users...)

What's bad? Major updates that are really "significant" updates. Zero communication in a decade, on what the future holds. Either Helios is just enhancing look-and-feel, and adding only the most critical stuff to keep TextPad on life-support, or a full re-write really is in the works. That's my guess.

But no matter what negatives there are, TextPad is still my only development environment. Because it's a great text editor.