Textpad 6 Hanging

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

tarraccas

Textpad 6 Hanging

Post by tarraccas »

Installed Textpad 6 overwriting previous Textpad 5 installation. Hangs upon program launch. The process is running in the background.

Upon trying to open the README.txt file in the Textpad 6 program directory I get a warning that the file cannot be found.

My previous Textpad 5 installation used syntax, clip, dict. folders in a non-default location.

Win 7 64
~T
tarraccas

Update on Textpad 6 hanging

Post by tarraccas »

The Windows warning about not being able to find the README.txt file seems to be associated with Textpad overriding notepad.exe but failing to complete a successful installation. Wordpad and everything other than notepad or textpad can open and/or edit files.

I don't know if this has to do with anything but the TextPadKey.xml file generated under AppData/Roaming/Helios/Textpad/ has two root elements <header> and <TextPad> and is marked invalid by parsers. The 6/ directory under that is empty. I tried copying over the config.xml file from 5.0/ to it with no effect.

Opting to remove Textpad 6 through the installer and reinstalling Textpad 5 restores my previous installation perfectly in the meantime.
~T
Ulf

Textpad 6 hangs on start.

Post by Ulf »

The same problem on Windows XP SP3!
helios

Post by helios »

Thanks for reporting this problem. We are investigating it now, and will issue a fix ASAP.
Helios Software Solutions
tarraccas

Post by tarraccas »

helios wrote:Thanks for reporting this problem. We are investigating it now, and will issue a fix ASAP.
Cool. :)
~T
mm_de

Post by mm_de »

I've had the same problem and fixed it by changing something in the registry:

Just rename in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Helios\TextPad 5\Associations

the key "Associations" to something else.

Sysinternals ProcessMonitor showed a endless loop of accesses to this keys ".c" string entry which refers to "VisualStudio.c.10.0" on my computer, then several accesses to HKCR\.c and VisualStudio.c.10.0 and some more accesses related to the .c association.

Hope this helps in tracking down the bug.
helios

Post by helios »

Thanks for the information. It should help us to identify the cause more easily.
Helios Software Solutions
spugbrap

more of what tarraccas said

Post by spugbrap »

Thanks for the info, tarraccas!

I ran procmon as well, and my textpad.exe was in an endless loop trying to read/deal with my ".htm" association, which had the value "ChromeHTML". I removed the ".htm" and ".html" keys, and TextPad 6 started right up!

Before that, the textpad process was using 50% CPU for 12 minutes straight before I finally killed it.
tarraccas

Textpad 6.1 Update

Post by tarraccas »

Thanks Helio for the 6.1 update. It resolved all the issues I was having.
~T