TextPad hangs for ~50 seconds before starting

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Quatrix

Post by Quatrix »

TextPad takes almost a minute to start up on my work PC the last few weeks, even when starting a clean session without opening a file. It doesn't use any CPU time during the delay. I suspect a reference to a slow or offline network share. I removed such a network entry from the recent file list, but the problem continues. I went through the registry folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Helios/TextPad 5 and all subfolders but couldn't find any other network references. Where else should I look?
Last edited by Quatrix on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MudGuard

Re: TextPad hangs for ~50 seconds before starting

Post by MudGuard »

Quatrix wrote:TextPad takes almost a minute to start up on my work PC the last few weeks, even when starting a clean session without opening a file. I suspect a reference to a slow or offline network share. I removed such a network entry from the recent file list, but the problem continues. I went through the registry folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Helios/TextPad 5 and all subfolders but couldn't find any other network references. Where else should I look?
Configure - Preferences - Folder
Quatrix

Re: TextPad hangs for ~50 seconds before starting

Post by Quatrix »

MudGuard wrote:Configure - Preferences - Folder
Thanks, but didn't find any network references there. Any idea where those settings are stored?
helios

Post by helios »

Have you got the Explorer option enabled from the View menu? If so, turn it off and see if it makes any difference.
Helios Software Solutions
ggrinton

TextPad from Context Menu is slow for me too .. any updates?

Post by ggrinton »

I am also having this problem on my Windows 7 64-bit system with TextPad 5.4.2. It does not matter if TextPad is already open or not. I find that if I use "Send to"..TextPad, there is no delay, but I'd rather one click than two!

I'm not clear what is mean by the reply from Helios of 30-Mar. Do you mean "is the Explorer sidebar showing?". I do not see anything like an enable/disable option. I do not have the sidebar showing, but the problem persists.

I did note on the Download/Utilities page a link (DDE Messages) to an alternative shellext.dll, but see that the current version has files shellext32.dll and shellext64.dll, so I am assuming that utility is obsolete. Can you please confirm, and/or indicate if there is an update somewhere?

Thank you.
jgrasmeder

Post by jgrasmeder »

I am also having this problem. Just started within the past week or so. TextPad 5.4.2 Windows 7 32-bit. Does not seem to matter how big or small the document is. The start time from clicking on the document until TextPad displays the application window is more than 30 seconds. If TextPad is already open then the document is displayed in less than 1 second.
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

+1

I'm 64bit Win7 Pro, and would love to fix this. For me it seems to only happen the first time launching TextPad after a boot.
jry

Post by jry »

Running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1
Textpad Version 5.4.2 Trial

Having exact same Problem.
"Send To" option works without issue.

Solution until resolved by author

Configure/Preferences/General
Uncheck Context Menu

Verified with reboot, and enabling/disabling several times.
I did not add Textpad as default to any extension.

It appears that several registry entries are missing when context menus are enabled.

Home user; did not spend the time to regmon the registrations against other Apps. like 7-zip, but did notice a fairly large amount of inconsistencies.
richlux

Post by richlux »

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. Same thing is happening for me (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). Double clicking in Windows explorer works fine. It's just the context menu that is slow.

Richard
e1375

Textpad hangs for a while when started from context menu

Post by e1375 »

I have the same problem. If I open a file with TextPad using the context menu (mouse right click) from Windows Explorer, it takes about 40 seconds to open the file.

While trying to open the file Windows Explorer stops responding until TextPad finally opens the file.

I am running TextPad 5.4.2 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit with ALL updates applied.

Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks,

e1375 :(
e1375

Is anybody from Textpad reading these posts?

Post by e1375 »

I wonder of anyone from TextPad is actually reading these posts.

Any idea?

Ed. :?
pbristow

Delay about 1 minute when starting from context menu

Post by pbristow »

I am also *much* inconvenienced by this behaviour which has started out-of-the-blue.

Starting from context menu in Windows Explorer, there is a delay about 1 minute before Textpad actually starts to open the right-click selected file.

Needless to say, this is terminally tiresome!

Send_to, normal startup, and open file all work instantly (one of Textpad's strong points - other fancier editors take seconds to start, (even with an SSD).

From the way this started for no apparent reason, I am starting to suspect some MS windows update is the root cause? (But other programs started from the context menu start normally).

I have done a complete re-install after deleting *all* the textpad registry entries, so I have no recent files or custom settings etc.

But I'd [b]very much[/b] like a fix. Any suggestions?
Paul A. Bristow
e1375

TEXTPAD PEOPLE WAKE UP !!!!!!!!!!

Post by e1375 »

HEY TEXTPAD GUYS WAKE UP AND PLEASE RESPOND TO THESE POSTS

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I'm not a TextPad guy (just another user), but can someone who is experiencing this problem try the suggestion from helios on Mar 30? That is, turn off the Explorer pane by clicking View > Explorer.
pbristow

Post by pbristow »

The setting on explorer view Explorer bar, details, etc make no difference to the delay.

I presume the context menu is in the Windows Explorer registry entries which are written by textpad when switching the context menu on or off?

Can we know what there are?

(Unchecking the "context menu" box, of course, makes the "problem" go away, but alsois a most valuable - essential - feature).
Paul A. Bristow