Paste as Block does not show up on Edit menu

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

WmHBlair

Paste as Block does not show up on Edit menu

Post by WmHBlair »

I am using 5.3.1. I know how to get Paste as Block to work, because I can (with word wrap off) select a block, copy it, and paste it successfully. However, what I want to do is to Paste as Block a selection of text that was NOT copied in block mode, but in line mode (in another application that does not support this). The Help information indicates that I can override the clipboard to do a Paste as Block operation, but I am unable to get it to show up on the Edit Menu (where I thought I have seen it before, but more succinctly where Help says it will be). Before you waste your time suggesting that I do what I have already tried: yes, I have turned word wrap off, and yes, I know how to select a block, etc., etc.

So, in short, how, exactly, do I "override the clipboard" and get TextPad to "Paste as Block" when the original Copy was not done in block mode?
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I can't get Paste as Block to appear on the Edit menu either, but your best bet is probably to assign a keystroke to the EditPasteBlock command.

Click Configure, then Preferences, then Keyboard.

Andrew
WmHBlair

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt (i.e., does not work)

Post by WmHBlair »

That's a great suggestion. I have done so and it works as expected.

I wonder why the Paste as Block option is not listed in the Edit menu (as documented). Perhaps it has been removed in keeping with the "lean and spare" motif exhibited by TextPad. If so, the description of this facility in TextPad Help should obviously be updated, so as not to mislead other poor unfortunates (uch as myself)
ACRobin

Post by ACRobin »

"Paste as Block" is on the edit menu:
Edit-> Insert->paste as block.

True not obvious. Just for information.
WmHBlair

Edit | Insert | Paste as Block

Post by WmHBlair »

Yes, indeed. So it is there. Totally non-obvious, but consistent with the lean and spare organization of TextPad. Once again I am surprised. But, this time, happy.