View in web browser does not work

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ellinghamso

View in web browser does not work

Post by ellinghamso »

I have just installed TextPad and find that the view in web browser button does not work, I have set my IE8 to open html files, anyone able to help
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Define "does not work" It throws an error, doesn't throw an error. Error message says ... etc
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

and check whether "View in Web browser" is activated for the document class in question ...
ellinghamso

Post by ellinghamso »

Thank you talleyrand and mudgard,

Sorry, I just get a 'pling' sound, no error messages. Not sure what means 'view in web browser' activated for the document class in question. I have set html and htm files to open in Internet Explorer, txt files to open in TextPad.

This morning I got my activation details after having paid the money, but could not start program administrator, when I select and enter password I get 'The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.' Maybe there is a connection.

It seems that this program does not agree with me, or am I just being ignorant?

Elling
ellinghamso

view in browser problem

Post by ellinghamso »

I got the activation sorted by starting the program first, but still no way I am able to view in browser. Anyone able to help?
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

Select
Configure | Preferences | Document Classes | <Class> | View in web browser
for the document's class, or
View | Document Properties | Preferences | View in web browser
for just the current document.
dgabler

Post by dgabler »

I have the same problem. I have set it to view in web browser and all it does is open it up in textpad again. I want to be able to see what the work looks like on an actual webpage. Thanks.
helios

Post by helios »

I have listed out below the actions you need to take. You may have some of these implemented already.

1. Right click the web browser icon
2. Choose Properties / Programs
3. Select TextPad as the HTML editor
4 . Click OK

Next:

Please implement the following:

From the Explorer (My Computer)Tools menu choose:

1. Folder options
2. File types
3. Scroll down and click on HTML
4. If it is not associated to your web browser, click on Change
5. Select the Web browser
6. Click OK

Next:

In TextPad:

Please implement the following. From the Configure menu choose:

1. Preferences
2. "+" next to Document classes
3. HTML
4. Check the View in web browser box

Please also ensure that the files are in the relevant folder, as listed under Configure / Preferences / Folders / WWW Root folder.

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
dgabler

Post by dgabler »

I cannot perform the second task. I'm not sure where to find it. I am running Vista if that gives anyone a reason.

When I click on the icon "view in web browser" it opens the exact same textpad file that I was looking at when I clicked that icon.
stephwo

View in Web Browser

Post by stephwo »

Hi all,

I am having similar problems to what has been posted here. I made all of the changes that were mentioned, and I can get html files to launch in my browser. The problem is I am also working with php files and those do not seem to work. They just don't get handed over to Firefox.

Any suggestions? I checked the html document class and it includes .php and seems good to go.

Best,

Stephen
stephwo

Problem fixed!

Post by stephwo »

Okay, what I needed to do was actually pretty simple. I simply right-clicked a .php file in Windows Explorer and clicked 'Open.' That brought me to a screen where I could choose Firefox as the program to open my .php files by default. Windows tried to steer me toward associating it with TextPad, but obviously that is not the way to go. You have to browse for Firefox and choose it.

Cheers!

Stephen
MudGuard

Re: Problem fixed!

Post by MudGuard »

stephwo wrote:Okay, what I needed to do was actually pretty simple. I simply right-clicked a .php file in Windows Explorer and clicked 'Open.' That brought me to a screen where I could choose Firefox as the program to open my .php files by default.
it doesn't make too much sense to open .php files with a browser without involving a webserver and php interpreter ...
stephwo

php

Post by stephwo »

Yeah, this is totally true! I'm just starting to use php, and I'm taking an online class. And my real problem was that I needed to open the files through localhost in my browser.

Solved everything.
Last edited by stephwo on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bensonbarton

Post by bensonbarton »

got the same problem with you..waiting for solid advices
www.topons.com get a brand new shopping experience here
stephwo

php

Post by stephwo »

Hi,

I actually figured my issue out though. With the help of people in this forum. You probably need to use your web server and php interpreter to host the files, and then access them in your browser by putting localhost in the url bar.

Best,

Stephen