Multiple-instances setting not working in 5.3 ?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

nsprauel

Multiple-instances setting not working in 5.3 ?

Post by nsprauel »

Hello,

Being an inconditional fan hopelessly addicted to Textpad unable to live without it, I have a question about the 'Allow multiple instances to run' setting: up to v5.2 this had always worked for me, as I prefer to only ever have one instance running.
But after the 5.3 upgrade (which I also find indispensable, because of the 'replace Notepad' option, great work there guys ;-)), the option only seems to half-work, and I consistently get multiple instances running, despite the setting being off.

Is it just me, or has someone else noticed it ?

Thanks

Nick

PS: My environment is WinXP SP3, running on a Dell laptop (E6400).
woho

Post by woho »

No - didn't occur to me, same win version and even same notebook :-)

Under which circumstances a 2nd instance of TP opens ?
- Starting TP from Startmenu
- starting from another icon (desktop, ..)
- doubleclicking a file in a file manager,.. ?

In my configuration I've unchecked [ ] multiple instances as well

Nevertheless sometimes I need another instance, i.e. when I open files that have nothing to do with the project the other files belong to.

Therefore I use command line option -m (for 'multiple') in my textpad shortcut (in the startmenü): C:\Program Files\TextPad\TextPad.exe -m

So when opening it from the startmenu, I get a new instance (the 1st one is 'new' anyway !)

When doubleclicking a file in a file manager, it
- opens a new TP window when none is open
- opens in the already open TP window that was active last

woho
nsprauel

Post by nsprauel »

Hi woho,

Many thanks for your quick reply, and multi-windows tips.

> Under which circumstances a 2nd instance of TP opens ?
doubleclicking a file in explorer

I have just retested it, and it systematically occurs. I'll give a go to v5.3.1, with a bit of luck the issue will disappear.

Nick
nsprauel

Post by nsprauel »

For those interested, despite the upgrade to 5.3.1, and testing it on a different machine (Dell Latitude D630), the problem is still occurring: launching files by double-clicking on them from the desktop/explorer cause multiple-instances ot TP, despite the 'multi-instance' setting being unchecked (I also tried with the setting checked, same result).

If this annoys anyone else, please make some noise :-)
woho

Post by woho »

how is the file extension recognized ? did you
A) you tell Explorer to open it with Textpad OR
B) add it in TextPad/Configure/Preferences/Associated Files ?

if you did A) I would try to break this again in Explorer and use B) instead

before you could test:
- create some textfile "MyTest.xyz",
- add xyz as extension in B)
- try doubleclicking in explorer again

see if that works

woho
hiaho

Post by hiaho »

I noticed the same problem with TextPad 5.3.1 under XP SP3.

With a little experimentation, I found out this is related to the 'Replace Notepad' setting.

If 'Replace Notepad' is enabled, TextPad will open a new instance (regardless of the 'allow multiple instances' setting) when you doubleclick on a file in the Windows Explorer that is associated with Notepad.

When you make a direct association for the file type with Textpad, either in the TextPad configuration or in the Windows Explorer file associations, 'allow multiple instances' works for this file type (at least on my machine).

If 'Replace Notepad' is disabled, the 'allow multiple instances' setting is working correctly.

Hope this helps

hiaho
ionFreeman

That seems to have fixed it!

Post by ionFreeman »

I was pleased to see the 'replace Notepad' option. But, having to choose, I'll stick with single instance.

Please consider this as 'making noise.'
pmneve

making noise as well

Post by pmneve »

Found the same problem. Turned off 'replace notepad' and multiple instances setting works.

Also noticed that, with replace notepad on and after attempting to change the multiple-instances setting, clicking on quick launch icon would bring up an apparently random version of a random file used recently...

Strange but true...
dougcrews

Please fix this

Post by dougcrews »

I have always found the "disallow multiple instances" option indispensable, and I'm very pleased to have the "replace notepad" option.

I want both!
nsprauel

Post by nsprauel »

Hi all,

Many thanks to all who replied to my initial query. I only just saw them all as for some reason I never got notified for activity on this thread, and forgot to check myself.

At least the problem is scoped: using the 'Replace Notepad' option (which to me was a real blessing as I consider Notepad to be the worst piece of software ever written by MS :twisted: - try and delete it, it's harder than getting rid of a virus ...), causes multiple instances of Textpad to be launched when a file is viewed or edited and instead of using the permanent association of a file type to Textpad, Windows attempts to launch Notepad instead.
The easy workaround is obviously to associate all file types with Textpad, but doesn't it defeat the point of having the 'Replace Notepad' option in the first place ?

I'll agree with dougcrews: ideally both options would co-exist. Any chance to put this on the feature request list (if at all technically achievable of course) ?
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Bump. Can this be fixed? I'm infuriated by this problem, I need both options "Replace Notepad" and Single Instance.

I'm running Win7 x64, textpad 5.4

Thanks in advance.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Until this is fixed, I found a workaround.

1. Download txplink.exe from here: http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/files/ut ... plink4.zip
2. Extract and rename txplink.exe to notepad.exe
3. Replace all notepad.exe under windows directory with the one from step 2.
4. Disable "Replace Notepad" in textpad options.
(hope windows file protection doesn't "fix" this)
BrooksL

Windows 7 multiple instances of TextPad 5.4.2

Post by BrooksL »

I didn't find this post in my previous search, but I ran into the same problem - Just moved to Windows 7 32bit, running TextPad 5.4.2;

Though I have "Allow multiple instances to run" unchecked in the preferences configuration, Windows 7 still starts a new instance instead of a new tab when I double-click an associated file in Windows Explorer.

(yes, I set the config when only one instance was running)

So, I'm also eagerly awaiting the update to fix this :)
briand

Force Multiple Instances?

Post by briand »

OK, I'm clearly going to be running against the common stream. But I *want* multiple instances to run: almost always. I can't do a visual side-by-side compare with tabs.

So, I found in the past that the workaround was to always drag the file over the TextPad icon in the (whatever that bar is called at the bottom of the screen). That, in the past, always brought up a new instance.

Now, no matter what I seem to do, I get a new tab in the existing window. Useless.

How can I force multiple instances? Better yet, how can I control multiple-instance behavior on a case-by-case basis, rather than always being surprised? "If I do THIS, then WILL it open a new window or WILL it just give me a new tab? Let's see, this is an odd-numbered Thursday with a full moon ..."
BrooksL

Win7 Multiple Instances when Replace NotePad is enabled

Post by BrooksL »

Looks like that is the pattern with Windows 7 and TextPad version 5.4.2; if 'Replace Notepad' is checked in TextPad Preferences, then double-clicking to open an associated file type from Windows Explorer will start a new instance of TextPad rather than a new tab - regardless of whether the file type is also registered in TextPad or not, AND regardless of whether 'Allow multiple instances to run' is unchecked.

If you do NOT want a new instance of TextPad and instead want only a new tab in TextPad, then leave 'Replace NotePad' and 'Allow multiple instances to run' both unchecked and associate the file type with TextPad.

Other workarounds are as others mentioned above, replace Notepad.exe with a redirect link to TextPad, etc...