New Guy, New Computer, and New Version 5.3

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

WoodChip

New Guy, New Computer, and New Version 5.3

Post by WoodChip »

Hello TextPad friends. This is my first post, and I'm hoping you can shed some light on a problem I am having with TextPad 5.3.

To begin with, I had to replace my old computer with a new one: An HP with AMD processor and Windows Vista OS. This in turn required an upgrade to TextPad 5.0.

The problem: A new instance of TextPad runs when I open additional text files. This should not happen with the following setup:

Main menu: Configure - Preferences - General "Allow multiples instances to run" is un-checked.

I downloaded the latest version 5.3 but this did not fix the problem.

Am I doing something wrong? Each new file should open in a new Tab.

-Don
WoodChip

Post by WoodChip »

Bump!

Anyone else have this problem?

-Don
daemon8

Post by daemon8 »

If by chance you are using the 'Replace Notepad' option and are working with txt files - try unchecking the 'Replace Notepad' option and create an association with txt to open via TextPad instead.
WoodChip

Post by WoodChip »

daemon8 wrote:If by chance you are using the 'Replace Notepad' option and are working with txt files - try unchecking the 'Replace Notepad' option and create an association with txt to open via TextPad instead.
BINGO! That was the problem!

I thought this new feature was a neat idea! Had I been doing a typical TextPad upgrade I would have already changed the file association, however, the hard drive on my old computer crashed, and I was doing a complete new install on the new computer.

Thank you.

-Don