Advantage of Textpad?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

SteveH

Re: Advantage of Textpad?

Post by SteveH »

joco23 wrote:Hello Textpad Staff!

What makes textpad different from the rest of the notepads out there? What would make me switch from Window's notepad to textpad? I've been a user of notepad since the day I got my computer 10 years ago, and I got to say, I love it. It's simple and fast, no formatting.

So again, what makes it different?
I'll assume this is a serious question although my troll detector is twitching ominously..

You won't get a response from TextPad staff here I suspect as this is primarily a user forum although Helios will occasionally post too.

What makes TextPad different from Windows Notepad? A few things occur to me:
  • Syntax highlighting for file types
  • Support for multiple files and project files
  • Very powerful search and replace across files and directories. Fast search within files.
  • Ability to create macros to automate frequent tasks
  • Simple and fast, no formatting
  • Inclusion of 'snippets', integration with development tools, block select mode
The only advantages Notepad has is that it's free (i.e. you don't have to pay any more than the price of Windows to get it) and it handles Unicode and UTF files properly.

It sounds as though Notepad meets your needs perfectly.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
Drxenos

Post by Drxenos »

I think the fact that you need to ask that question, and collectively refer to text editors as "notepads," indicates you have no need of such a product.
mahtab1966

Advantage of Textpad

Post by mahtab1966 »

Lacking sophisticated and achievable SGML/XML capable editors suitable for editing of East Asian texts, it is feasible and possible to set up an editing environment with popular and powerful shareware editors. These editors can be downloaded from the Internet and used for a limited period free of charge. A licence fee has only to be paid for continued use.

=========================
Edited by moderator on 8/13/09. I have removed name of competing product from this private forum hosted by Helios. Please make an off line, private, contact with the originator for any product name information
========================
WoodChip

Re: Advantage of Textpad?

Post by WoodChip »

joco23 wrote:Hello Textpad Staff!

What makes textpad different from the rest of the notepads out there? What would make me switch from Window's notepad to textpad? I've been a user of notepad since the day I got my computer 10 years ago, and I got to say, I love it. It's simple and fast, no formatting.

So again, what makes it different?
Assuming you were serious, I'm sorry you got roasted so bad with replies. Seriously, spend some time with TextPad and NotePad will feel like the old DOS Ed Line (whoops!, I'm showing my age!).

-Don
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I must be older, because I recall Edlin, the line editor, don't remember Ed Line.

Not only that, but Edlin is still resident in XP PRO for use by some of us diehards (also known as workharders).
From a command line, enter edlin c:\temp\filename.txt and go to work. Enter "?" to get a list of the commands and the syntax.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
WoodChip

Post by WoodChip »

Bob Hansen wrote:I must be older, because I recall Edlin, the line editor, don't remember Ed Line.

Not only that, but Edlin is still resident in XP PRO for use by some of us diehards (also known as workharders).
From a command line, enter edlin c:\temp\filename.txt and go to work. Enter "?" to get a list of the commands and the syntax.
No, I must be older because I didn't remember the name of the editor. :( You're right, it was Edlin. :)