Helpfiles don't show

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ssampanthar

Helpfiles don't show

Post by ssampanthar »

I have looked through this site and also textpad's website and have not found anything that will help me.
Textpad is installed on my P drive. The shdoclc.dll is in my windows\system32 folder. I attempted to install HHUPD.EXE but got the error message HTML Help is a Windows system component and can only be updated via a service pack on this version of Windows. I am running Windows XP SP 2.

However when I open up the helpfiles, they do not appear. I get the error message Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

The properties of a helppage is as follows:

res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm#mk:@MSITStore:P:\TextPad%204\System\TXPADENG.CHM::/html/intro/intro.htm

I would like to use Textpad's regular expressions functionality so wanted to read the helpfiles to get me started. Do you have any suggestions so that I can see the helpfiles?
Britt

Re: Helpfiles don't show

Post by Britt »

I assume your P: drive is a non-local (network) drive. A Microsoft security patch broke this help feature for several applications, not just TextPad.

See http://www.microsoft.com/communities/ne ... &sloc=&p=1

- Britt
tycho

Post by tycho »

Hm. my problem is that when choosing Help -> Help Topics menu, nothing happens at all. Pressing F1 brings up Help though...

Britt: I think the issue you refer to has been fixed. The link you gave is more than 3 years old..

You can always browse to the Program Files\Textpad 5 folder and dblclick the .chm help file there.
puskafee

help->help topics doesn't work

Post by puskafee »

Clicking help
->help topics
->technical support
->Frequently Asked Questions
doesn't do anything (Windows XP, SP2)

F1 works

Kind Regards
puskafee

help->help topics doesn't work (2)

Post by puskafee »

In TextPad v5.20 this still worked fine. :?
So I have downgraded. :(

Kind Regards
pghardy

Post by pghardy »

tycho wrote:Hm. my problem is that when choosing Help -> Help Topics menu, nothing happens at all. Pressing F1 brings up Help though....
I get the same effect on a recent installation of Textpad 5.3. Using the Help pulldown->Help Topics doesn't do anything. hitting F1 does bring up Help OK.
--
paul at paulhardy.net
MartinLondon1977

Post by MartinLondon1977 »

I am seeing the same thing, with an RC (build 7100) version of Windows 7. I think Vista SP2 has it as well.