Help Menu

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ulogic

Help Menu

Post by ulogic »

The help menu in 5.3 is not working for me. I can get to help with the F1 key or through the help button in the Find/Replace/Find in Files dialog boxes. However, if I select Help on the main menu and choose Help Topics or anything else that should open the CHM file, nothing happens. This was not the case with 5.2. The only thing I can think of that might have a bearing is that I did not use (and have never used) the default installation directory. My installation under 32bit Windows XP SP3 is in C:\PROGRAMS\TEXPAD5
kitimat

help menu

Post by kitimat »

I can confirm the problem. the menu item help|help topics doesn't bring up the help file while the F1 key does. Standard default installation, windows xp sp2.
helios

Post by helios »

Thanks for reporting the problem with the Help menu. It will be fixed, but in the mean time, as Kitimat pointed out, you can still use the F1 key.
Helios Software Solutions
textpad-fan

Post by textpad-fan »

In Toolbar Options/Add Or Remove Options/Customize/Help it fails to open the Help file too.
spinality

Same here, but it HAD been working

Post by spinality »

After a clean install under Vista, the help menus worked fine. Later in the day, after configuring various things, help menus stopped. No change after repair and reinstall. F1 still works however. (Wish I'd noticed BEFORE reinstalling -- lost all my syntax and other config changes.)

UPDATE 7/24/09: Woo-hoo, I see that all my config changes are still there. Uninstall apparently doesn't strip the Registry. This suggests that the help issue involves a Registry error since the problem persisted after reinstall. Hope this helps.
-- Trevor
RichPasco

Same problem here

Post by RichPasco »

I have the same problem after upgrading from 5.2 to 5.3 on Windows XP. See here. (If I'd seen this thread I wouldn't have started that new one.)
RichPasco

Post by RichPasco »

I can confirm that this problem has been fixed in version 5.3.1.
Download here: http://www.textpad.com/download/