Compare Files and Save

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Boris

Compare Files and Save

Post by Boris »

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but since the search produced 53 pages of threads, I couldn't be bothered to tread through all of them.

My question is:

Why, when you're trying to compare two files, does it ask you whether you want to save any *other* which have not yet been saved ?

This is very annoying, as it has nothing to do with the task at hand.

When you have several files updated and it asks you for each one individually, it becomes positively stupid.

Anyone knows why this is a "feature" of Textpad ? I cannot see the logic behind it.

Thanks in advance for any explanation.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Hi Boris,

I've never been able to understand this either. I can't give any explanation, but I agree that it's very annoying!

You can use one of these as an alternative and set it up as an external tool. I use WinMerge myself and it does a much better job than the built-in Compare Files function.

Andrew
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

In the settings for user-defined tools, there is a check-box "Save all documents first".

My guess is that this setting is activated for the internal diff tool - the settings for the internal tools are not stored in registry like the user-defined tool settings, so I can't be sure ...