Install failure on txpeng520.exe

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

chrisjj

Install failure on txpeng520.exe

Post by chrisjj »

On Win XP SP2, txpeng520.exe (both downloaded direct and in zip) fail with:
An error occurred while downloading the file /WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe. What would you like to do?
download.textpad.com is pingable.

Any ideas?

Also, where can I get a stand-alone installer? I want to be able to reinstall independently i.e. without reliance on the web service or requirement for net access. Thanks.
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

complain at microsoft - the windows installer is their product
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

MudGuard wrote:complain at microsoft - the windows installer is their product
I bought textpad, not windows installer. Would the company from which I bought textpad please help me to get it it install? Thanks.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

For your own installer check out the free Windows installer Inno Setup at http://www.innosetup.com/isinfo.php

From their site:
Key features:

* Support for all versions of Windows in use today: Vista, XP, 2008, 2003, 2000, Me, 98, 95, and NT 4.0. (No service packs are required.)
* Extensive support for installation of 64-bit applications on the 64-bit editions of Windows. Both the x64 and Itanium architectures are supported. (On the Itanium architecture, Service Pack 1 or later is required on Windows Server 2003 to install in 64-bit mode.)
* Supports creation of a single EXE to install your program for easy online distribution. Disk spanning is also supported.
* Standard Windows 2000/XP-style wizard interface.
* Customizable setup types, e.g. Full, Minimal, Custom.
* Complete uninstall capabilities.
* Installation of files:
Includes integrated support for "deflate", bzip2, and 7-Zip LZMA file compression. The installer has the ability to compare file version info, replace in-use files, use shared file counting, register DLL/OCX's and type libraries, and install fonts.
* Creation of shortcuts anywhere, including in the Start Menu and on the desktop.
* Creation of registry and .INI entries.
* Integrated Pascal scripting engine.
* Support for multilingual installs.
* Support for passworded and encrypted installs.
* Silent install and uninstall.
* Full source code is available (Borland Delphi 2.0-5.0).

Is it really free of charge, even for commercial use?

Yes, it may be used completely free of charge, even when deploying commercial applications. However if you wish to show your appreciation and support its development you can make a donation.

(Note: "Completely free of charge" must not be confused with "completely free". Inno Setup is copyrighted software, not public domain software. There are some restrictions on distribution and use;
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
helios

Post by helios »

It appears that you don't have the latest version of the Windows installer on your computer.

Please try to manually download and install the latest Windows Installer from Microsoft, and then install TextPad:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

I hope this helps.
Helios Software Solutions
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
>
> I hope this helps.[/quote]

It does - thanks.

> It appears that you don't have the latest version
> of the Windows installer on your computer.

Well, me and 99% of users, I suggest. There is no such requirement in the Textpad Minimum Requirements (http://www.textpad.com/download/index.html). Suggestion: fix this.