font that lines up all the print

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

MysticT

font that lines up all the print

Post by MysticT »

I'm trying to find a font that will line up columns of text delineated by tabs correctly. Previously I used the font HE_TERMINAL to do that but the version of Textpad that I'm not using doesn't have this available. I'd like to find this font but any readable font will do lacking this one. I don't want to spend hours of my employer's time trying every single font until I find one that prints the way I need it to.

Thanks for any help.
MT
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Previously I used the font HE_TERMINAL to do that but the version of Textpad that I'm not using doesn't have this available.
No version of TextPad ships with any fonts. The fonts are supplied by you and your computer system.

When you look at the available fonts listed BY TextPad, select one that is a fixed font, it will not have a thumbnail next to the name. Try using COURIER font.

Also, remember that you may still need to set the position and/or width values for your Tabs and/or the number of tabs between values. Previous tabs may have been set up for alignments in another program. You can use RegEx to help add/remove your tabs.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Bob Hansen wrote:select one that is a fixed font, it will not have a thumbnail next to the name.
AFAIK the existence of the icon (TT or O or V or ...) is not depending on Fixed-Width, but on file format.

Courier (Fixed-Width) has no Icon,
Courier New (Fixed-Width) has the O,
Dejavu sans Mono (Fixed-Width) has the TT icon.

MS Sans serif (NOT fixed-Width) has no icon ...
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I've actually got a copy of HE_TERMINAL available here. I can’t remember where I got it but I used it for coding for quite a long time before I switched to other fonts.

If you send me a PM with your details I will send you a copy.

It would also recommend taking a look at Deja Vu Sans Mono, a fixed with font with great support for international characters.

Hope this helps.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
MysticT

Post by MysticT »

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Now I know to look on my other computer for the font I want, because I'm using it there.

Lacking that I'll send a PM to get a copy of it.

Thanks again.

MT
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Thanks for the clarification about the icons MudGuard.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I think the symbols represent True Type, OpenType and Type 1 fonts.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
kengrubb

Post by kengrubb »

The icons appear to be embedded in the fonts themselves. If you open Windows Explorer and look in your Font folder, likely C:\Windows\Fonts, you should see the icons that TP displays.
(2[Bb]|[^2].|.[^Bb])

That is the question.