"Open with Textpad" in right-click menu

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

kbghost

Post by kbghost »

how do i reactivate the "open with textpad" option in my right click menu? i can't find it anymroe and i would like it back.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Open textPad.
Close all documents.
From the Main Menu: Click on Configure, Preferences.
On the left side of the window, left click on General so it is highlighted.
In the lower right sectionof Preferences window, make sure you have a checkmark in the box for Context Menu.
Click on Apply, OK.
Close TextPad and reopen it.
Should be all set.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
scallops25

Post by scallops25 »

A trickier but similar question:

The link is there in the context menu, but whenever I do this with a new file or group files, it always opens them in a new instance of TextPad, even if I already have TextPad open. I want it so that if I already have TextPad open, any files I open using the context menu open in the instance of TextPad I already have open instead of a new instance. Can this be done?
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Configure->Preferences->General, uncheck "Allow multiple instances to run".
HTH
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
stormy

Post by stormy »

Bob Hansen wrote:Open textPad.
Close all documents.
From the Main Menu: Click on Configure, Preferences.
On the left side of the window, left click on General so it is highlighted.
In the lower right sectionof Preferences window, make sure you have a checkmark in the box for Context Menu.
Click on Apply, OK.
Close TextPad and reopen it.
Should be all set.
This does not function with TP 5.2.0 (winxp-sp2)(TP upgraded* from 4.7.3) - the "Context Menu" is systematically unchecked when reopening TP. I have ensured that no other documents are open, and have tried with "admin" priviledges rather than user, and have rebooted.

Any suggestions?

* actually, "upgrade" was a delete and reinstall, losing all my personal preferences :(

Stormy
Tired old sys-admin
visualdude

A fix for this

Post by visualdude »

I had the same "upgrade" issue. To correct this, I uninstalled the old version and repaired version 5.20. To compound problems, 5.20 appears to use the temp folder for the installation source. I ran the installer with the -a command line switch to extract a admin installation so I could browse to the msi file.
shippee

Right Click in Windows Explorer Fails

Post by shippee »

Right Click in Windows Explorer Fails (can not view text from file) even with 'context box' checked. Any suggestions as did an uninstall, reinstall, and still no joy.

Running on Windows Server 2003 R2. For some reason can view text from file if right click and SEND TO Textpad, just can't R Click and open with Textpad. Any suggests welcome. Thanks in advance,

Steven Shippee