Open files in TP from right click context menu

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

wipper

Open files in TP from right click context menu

Post by wipper »

Hello,

I am a long time textPad user and have just updated my laptop (XP Pro, SP3) from 4.7.3 to 5.2.

Now I find that when I right click on a file in explorer TextPad still appears in the menu but clicking on TextPad will not open the file in TP. This was useful in 4.7.3 for files that I occasionally wanted to open in TP but are associated with another editor because of their nature. I don't want to associate these files with TP for various reasons but I do want to be able to look at them (and sometimes edit them) in TP. The right-click context menu used to do this for me in 4.7.3. Now, in 5.2, I have to launch 5.2 and navigate to the file to open it in TP.

A quick investigation in the registry comparing 4.7.3 (on desktop) with 5.2 (on laptop) shows most of the entries to be identical except for the usual TextPad 4 vs. TextPad 5 etc.

But one difference is the following entry in 4.7.3:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\TextPad.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\TextPad.exe\shell]
"FriendlyCache"="TextPad"
"FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:00,3a,b9,3a,9e,54,c4,01

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\TextPad.exe\shell\edit]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\TextPad.exe\shell\edit\Command]
@="D:\\Program Files\\TextPad 4\\TextPad.exe \"%1\""

which is missing in 5.2.

Is this relevant? Has anyone else noticed the different behaviour in 5.2 (5.x ?) and 4.7.3 ?

Ideas and comments welcome. When I have time I will investigate further. There may be other registry entries to be discovered. I have not tried importing the above entry into the laptop running 5.2 .

Cheers to all TextPadians.
nvj1662

Post by nvj1662 »

Although I do not recall the details, this topic has been discussed at length in these fora and resolutions explained.

If you search the forum I'm sure you'll find the answer :)