Unicode display

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

chrisjj

Unicode display

Post by chrisjj »

How do I get TP5 to correctly display a BOMmed UTF-8 .txt file??

Here I get black bars for some non-ASCII chars.

Thanks.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

It might be worth having a look at this thread to see if it answers your question.

Without wishing to be negative about TextPad, I would recommend use of other editors to edit Unicode files.

Hope this helps.
Running TextPad 5.4 on Windows XP SP3 and on OS X 10.7 under VMWare or Crossover.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

SteveH wrote:It might be worth having a look at this thread to see if it answers your question.
Thanks, but it doesn't.
SteveH wrote:Without wishing to be negative about TextPad, I would recommend use of other editors to edit Unicode files.
Understood (thanks) and I do, but I'd still like to find a solution for TP rather than bin it.

Anyone?

Official Support perhaps?
gan

Post by gan »

chrisjj wrote:
SteveH wrote:It might be worth having a look at this thread to see if it answers your question.
Thanks, but it doesn't.
SteveH wrote:Without wishing to be negative about TextPad, I would recommend use of other editors to edit Unicode files.
Understood (thanks) and I do, but I'd still like to find a solution for TP rather than bin it.

Anyone?

Official Support perhaps?
Basically what Steve tried to tell you is that TP does not currently fully support unicode and there is no workaround or any way to fix this with the current version. This is requested a lot of times and for a long time without any promise when we can expect a version of TP that fully support unicode.

Your only option is to use another text editor at the moment. Since there been no statement from Helios for a long time about unicode i doubt you will get the answer you are hoping for.

Gan
Last edited by gan on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

gan wrote:TP does not currently fully support unicode and there is no workaround or any way to fix this with the current version
Thanks.
webwiz

Post by webwiz »

Odd. I have been using UTF8 encoding for a year or so with no problem on TP. Lots of problems with other popular editors though.

I would not recommend adding the Byte Order Mark (BOM). As UTF8 is an 8-bit encoding, Byte Order is irrelevant anyway. It just upsets some browsers and is suicide for PHP.

You might try changing the font you are using. Not many fonts have the Unicode glyphs, including Courier. I am using Courier New, which has the glyphs I need. YMMV.
Cordially, David
--
"Eschew obfuscation"
gan

Post by gan »

webwiz wrote:Odd. I have been using UTF8 encoding for a year or so with no problem on TP. Lots of problems with other popular editors though.

I would not recommend adding the Byte Order Mark (BOM). As UTF8 is an 8-bit encoding, Byte Order is irrelevant anyway. It just upsets some browsers and is suicide for PHP.

You might try changing the font you are using. Not many fonts have the Unicode glyphs, including Courier. I am using Courier New, which has the glyphs I need. YMMV.
TP does not fully support unicode which is confirmed by a lot of users and also by the developer Helios so i see no reason to start another discussion whether everyone been wrong all the time or not.
There are threads in this forum that will prove this statement and using a text editor that fully support unicode you can easy see how it differ.
webwiz

Unicode

Post by webwiz »

gan wrote:
TP does not fully support unicode
Well, that's true. TP uses DBCS internally, and not all Unicode sharacters are supported. But it does well enough for my purposes.

I was trying to answer the OP's question about black bars. That's usually an issue with fonts.

I'm fairly new to this forum, and didn't mean to reopen old wounds. Sorry.
Cordially, David
--
"Eschew obfuscation"
gan

Re: Unicode

Post by gan »

webwiz wrote:I'm fairly new to this forum, and didn't mean to reopen old wounds. Sorry.
Sure np, no harm done. Sorry if i did sound a bit harsh.
chrisjj

Re: Unicode

Post by chrisjj »

webwiz wrote:I was trying to answer the OP's question about black bars. That's usually an issue with fonts.
Your help is appreciated - thanks.