Text.Syn

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Blah

Text.Syn

Post by Blah »

Hopefully a quick and easily answered question.

Since upgrading to version 5.2 I now get a certain error message for some files when I load in the workspace.

It claims it can not find c:\Program Files\Textpad 4\System\Text.syn.

My reaction is along the lines of, well of course not, you are version 5 now and should be automatically looking into C:\Program Files\Textpad 5\System.

Not that it seems to do it any harm.

Any idea where it is set incorrectly, and how I can change it ? I have looked, but have not spotted anything yet.

Thanks.
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

I don't use workspaces but I suspect something in the workspace file has a hook for the old folder. Not sure if that's something you can hand edit or if it will require recreating in v5
I choose to fight with a sack of angry cats.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Check the Folder locations, especially for Syntax

Configure/Preferences/Folders/Syntax
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
Blah

Post by Blah »

Thanks talleyrnd: Mmmmm it may well be a workspace problem. Opening the tws file in notpad and doing a search reveals the string "C:\Program Files\TextPad 4\System\TEXT.SYN" in a number of places. May not be the cause, but I guess it is worth an edit to check.

----------------------------------

Thanks Bob: but I have looked there already for references to "Textpad 4". The syntax one just says

C:\Documents and Settings\myname\Application Data\Helios\TextPad\5.0

In fact most of them do. No sign of "Textpad 4".

----------------------------------

Before posted this I did a search for titles referring to "text.syn", and not finding one, started this. But since then I see it looks as if a few folk had a problem with an upgrade.
Blah

Post by Blah »

Ah ha ! That seems to have done the trick, thanks.

Yes if one tries to edit the tws file in Notpad, as I expected, it messes up it up. Probably can not cope with the non-text stuff. But using a hex editor to edit the file on the disk directly, works 'a treat'.

Thanks again.

(PS upgrades need a workspace updater ;))