Text selection displays wrong?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

turnstyle

Text selection displays wrong?

Post by turnstyle »

I recently started using Vista, and switched to TextPad 5.1 (from 4.something).

I've noticed that the text selection (ie, highlighted blue) often displays wrong. For example, I'll grab word and drag to the left, but part of the line to the right highlights.

If I copy or cut, the correct text is affected -- so it's only what "looks" to be selected.

Is this a known glitch? Is it TextPad 5.1 or Vista?

Thanks! -Scott
Nicholas Jordan

glitch is vista

Post by Nicholas Jordan »

You cannot corrctly blame M$ for giving consumers what they demand, but due to the interest shown by some eager workers they have installed a lot of protections and it is likely more vista's effort to fix things than would be tp.
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

No offense, but I'm not terribly interested in veering off onto the anti-Microsoft thing -- I'm just hoping to get TextPad to select as expected.

Are others here using Textpad 5.1 on Vista?

If so, have you also noticed that text selection is sometimes weird?

Is this a Vista-only thing, or 5.1 in general?

Thanks, -Scott
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

turnstyle wrote:Are others here using Textpad 5.1 on Vista?

If so, have you also noticed that text selection is sometimes weird?
I'm using 5.1 on Vista, but I haven't had any problems with text selection. Is it something you can reproduce, say with a particular file?

Andrew
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

Here's a simple example, open a new blank document, and copy the following:

this is line one
this is line two
this is line three
this is line four
this is line five

Now, click (and hold) after the word "line" in line three, and then drag down to highlight some text in line four -- keep the click down, and now drag up to highlight some text in line two. See how it doesn't draw correctly?

And if you now click elsewhere to unselect, it doesn't clean up the highlight correctly.

Do you see what I mean?

I haven't tried 5.1 on an XP box, so I don't know if this is just 5.1 or something about 5.1 on Vista...

Does anybody else see this glitch?
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I know your problem is in Vista, but for the record, I could not duplicate your problem with 4.73 on XP PRO SP2.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

Thanks -- though the problem may be Vista OR Texpad 5.1 (or a combination of the two).

I know that when I was using 4.something on Win2k, this didn't happen -- but I switched to Vista and TextPad 5.1 at the same time, so I don't yet know who the troublemaker is.

For anybody running 5.1 -- (XP or Vista) -- what happens if you try this?

Thanks! -Scott
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

Works as expected in TP5.1 on WinXP and TP5.1 on Win2K.
No Vista available.
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

Scott,

Thanks to your instructions, I was able to reproduce the problem with 5.1.0 in Vista. Here's a screenshot.

The problem only seems to occurs when the setting Highlight the line containing the cursor (in Configure->Preferences->View) is turned off. I could not reproduce the problem when this option was enabled.

Andrew
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

Hi ak47wong, thanks for the confirmation!

And I can confirm that if I set "Highlight the line containing the cursor" to be checked, the glitch is eliminated. (Though I'd prefer to keep that setting off.)

(I can also add that Notepad doesn't show a similar glitch.)

MudGuard: you indicated that it was fine on your XP box -- might you possibly have "Highlight the line containing the cursor" on? If so, what happens if you turn that off?

Does anybody know how to report such a thing to TextPad?
helios

Post by helios »

Can all of those having this text selection problem in Vista, try using Windows Classic theme and see if that makes any difference.

Right click Desktop/Personalise/Theme/Classic.

Can you also let us know which display driver you are using in case there's a common link there.

Thanks for your help.
Helios Software Solutions
ak47wong

Post by ak47wong »

I just tried it and could not reproduce the problem at all using the Windows Classic theme. Reverting to Aero brought the problem back.

My display adapter is an NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT.

Andrew
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

I usually have the current line visible.
I turned it off, and it still behaves as expected on XP and 2K.

On XP, I use the classic theme. I hate the look of the Teletubby-meets-Jellybaby-XP-default theme.
turnstyle

Post by turnstyle »

If, on Vista, the problem shows up in Aero but not Classic, does that necessarily mean that this is a Vista bug?

For example, with TextPad's "highlight line" setting on, the problem goes away (even in Aero).

So, perhaps when a user has "highlight line" turned off, could that (behid the scenes) still behave like it's on, but with the hightlight itself not actually displayed, so to speak? (I'm thinking this could help 'flush' the display of the highlighted text)

This glitch can make it a bit of a chore to work with TextPad on Vista, and it would be great to see it fixed!

Thanks, -Scott
ted7

Post by ted7 »

I have Windows XP, latest service pack, and just upgraded TextPad to 5.1 When holding down the mouse button to select text, the selection does not work properly (selection stops prematurely). Selection is rather critical to me. Can anyone reproduce?