Editing macros (again? again!)

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

This shows that your mouse moved to three locations and did a click on something. It is recording mouse clicks which is OK. You could edit it to remove mouse clicks and use keystrokes instead. In either case, it will work with mouse movements and/or keystrokes. Keystrokes are usually more reliable and not affected by resoultion. But mouse movements can also use relatve positions to handle different resolutions. Most of the Wait> commands could be removed, they are just recording the time in between your manual processing steps.

This is getting away from TextPad, and should probably be addressed on the forum for Macro Scheduler at http://www.mjtnet.com/usergroup/index.php
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
DeSangre

Post by DeSangre »

Bob Hansen wrote:This is getting away from TextPad, and should probably be addressed on the forum for Macro Scheduler at http://www.mjtnet.com/usergroup/index.php
You are right, and I'll resort to registering to the MS forum and ask there if that's the only option, but actually my question was easier:

Can Macro Scheduler "understand" what Textpad is doing when a TP macro gets executed?
e.g. If my textpad macro has got 1000 steps, I want Marco Scheduler to "understand" each one of those 1000 steps and list it separately in a readable manner.
Thanks.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

You would need to add comments to the recorded mouse movements initially. Best to record using Keyboard commands vs. mouse to make it more readable.

Here is simple example of script using keyboard to exit TextPad:
// Press File/Exit to close TextPad
Press ALT
Send>fx
Release ALT

And here is what it might look like with mouse commands:
// Press File/Exit to close TextPad
MouseMove>10,30
LClick
MouseMove>15,455
LClick

Obviously the first example is much easier to understand what is happening. This is more obvious when you have hundreds of steps. Just inserting //comments at varioius points helps to break out process steps.

Will look for you at the Macro Scheduler forum.
Bob
DeSangre

Post by DeSangre »

I get from your answer that Macro Scheduler can't do what I asked.

Let's say that I have a textpad macro called A.
This texpad macro is made of three steps: x, y and z.

If I understood correctly, all that Macro Scheduler can do while creating "his" macro is recording "the steps I take to start the textpad macros", but can't record every SINGLE textpad macro step as a SINGLE MS macro step.

E.g. I'll never be able to have a Macro Scheduler Macro with

do x
do y
do z

in it, each listed separately. but only with

execute A

When you said "you can have the best of both worlds", I was hoping for something else I guess :)
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

You are correct, unless you manually do the TextPad steps once while recording in MS.

When I make TextPad macros, I write them out first in TextPad so that I have a record of the macro content. That is saved as a ReadOnly file in the same folder that I store my TP macros.

In that case, I can copy/paste that TextPad document into the MS file, and make minor editing changes, so the process is not so bad. I actually have a Macro Scheduler class in TexPad with a syntax file I created so that I can use TextPad to edit my MS macro scripts.
Bob