TextPad 5.0.2 is released

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

bbadmin
Site Admin

TextPad 5.0.2 is released

Post by bbadmin »

Thanks for all your feedback on TextPad 5.0.

We have addressed all the issues reported in this maintenance release, which can be downloaded from here.

After upgrading from TextPad 4.x, the first time that TextPad 5 is run it attempts to transfer all your files and settings. This process has been tested for standard installations, but may not succeed if the previous installation folder cannot be located. In that case, it will be necessary to transfer the files manually. No transfers are necessary when upgrading from 5.0.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions
Last edited by bbadmin on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Thanks Keith.

The Release Notes shows a lot of items have been addressed. I am sure this will make many users happier, but will not be surprised if more issues are raised. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the process.

Thanks for listening.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
Erland Sommarskog

Post by Erland Sommarskog »

The move to a new directory does not seem like a good idea to me, and I would recommend that 5.0.3 or whatever the next version might be will not change the existing install directory. I have at least two applications where I've set up Textpad as my default editor, and how is the Textpad to find these references? It would not help to scan the registry as both apps are old-fashioned and go with ini-files.

The damage is already done on the machine from which I'm typing this, but have a machine at work, which I rather save from this.
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

It would be confusing for new users if TextPad 5 was installed in a folder named "TextPad 4". The installer is non-scripted, so can't make decisions based on previous installations. You can manually override the default, during the installation setup phase, if it's not appropriate for your needs.
Erland Sommarskog

Post by Erland Sommarskog »

Yes, I realised that I could change the installation directory. However, it's a serious shortcoming of the current installer that it cannot detect the current installation directory.

It would make sense to move to a new directory, if the structure of the new version was completely different, but that does not seem to be the case. And I think this should be avoided as far as possible, because of the possible external references.
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm