"Select Cancel" working only on second request

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mglacy

"Select Cancel" working only on second request

Post by mglacy »

When I use Esc to do a "select cancel" (i.e., to un-highlight a selected section of text, and turn off a selection in process), nothing happens until I hit Esc a second time. I also have tried assigning various keystroke combinations to "select cancel" via Configure-Preferences-Keyboard, but the same thing holds; I have to hit whatever keystroke combination twice to cancel a selection in process.

I'm running v 4.7.3 under Win 98, for FWIW. Any thoughts?

-Mike
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Using 473 here on XP pro, only one Esc needed - perhaps you are in a dialog, and the first Esc is needed to exit it? Just my 0.02 USD.
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
mglacy

Post by mglacy »

Thanks, but no, I can't see anything to indicate that Textpad is caught in a dialog box.

Mike
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Well, then my first guess would be that some other app is robbing the focus from TP on your puter. HTH
Edit. Well, my second guess really ;)
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
Lostgallifreyan

Post by Lostgallifreyan »

One possible cause is the Alt key has been pressed, and has either not been re-pressed, or has not been followed up with a keyboard shortcut that would have used it.

To check for this, look at the cursor, which would be an arrow and not an 'I beam' if poised over the editing area.

Either a re-press, or an Esc press, will retract a call from the Alt key.