BOM: Feature Or Broken?

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

claco

BOM: Feature Or Broken?

Post by claco »

Running 4.7.3 on XP. This is actually a two part question.

First, if I change the "Default" file class to save as UTF-8 encoding, Unix endings, and write the BOM, does that only apply to opening files, NOT saving new files?

With those options set, I click New, add some XML to a file, and hit Save.
First, the default Encoding and Encoding in the Save dialog are ANSI and PC, not of those in "Default" document class.

This is understandable if document classes only alter the behaviours when opening existing files. How does one go about changing the Save dialog defaults when I save a NEW document?

Second, given the above BOM settings, both the "Default" document class and another document class for .xml files (both set to Write BOM) appear to have ZERO effect when saving new files as UTF8/Unicode.

The new files saved with UTF-8 or Unicode encoding chosen from the Save dialog box both get saved WITHOUT a BOM, even though I've told Textpad to write the BOM for all .xml files (and even default *.*)?

Of course, the minute I open them, edit them , and save them , the BOM appears.

Bug, Shortcoming, or feature?

Thanks,
-=Chris
seaktf

Post by seaktf »

I would say it's broken ......

I saw that you've also posted in this thread as well.
helios

Post by helios »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have identified a problem with this feature, and we are looking into it.

For the time being you should make any changes to the document class whose file extension is entered as the Default file extension, (usually .txt), on the File Preferences page, or change the Default file extension to .xml, and make the changes to that document class.
Helios Software Solutions