Option for Tools menu context-based, based on filetype

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

PolarXL

Option for Tools menu context-based, based on filetype

Post by PolarXL »

For those who mainly use TextPad for programming, the ability to add new compilers using command-line information is great. But for those who use several languages, the Tools menu (and the shortcuts) can get a little bloated.
For instance, Let's say one codes in Java, Python, C, and Icon. The tools menu looks something like
ctrl + 1 Compile Java
ctrl + 2 Run Java Application
ctrl + 3 Run Java Applet
ctrl + 4 Run Python Script
ctrl + 5 Compile C program
ctrl + 6 Run C Program
ctrl + 7 Compile Icon program
ctrl + 8 Run Icon Program
etc.
A somewhat subtle, but really useful feature would be not having to remember any of these, but for the tools to know what filetypes they should show up for. So when one has a java file open, there's only ctrl + 1, 2, and 3. But when C is open, compile C program becomes ctrl + 1, Running it becomes ctrl + 2.
That way, ctrl + 1 could ALWAYS be compile, and + 2 could ALWAYS be run (or whatever, based on user prefs... these are just examples), no matter what language is being coded.
-Alex
Pascal Boivin

I agree

Post by Pascal Boivin »

I totally agree with that!

I've put compilers and help files for every language I use (6) in the tools menu. If possible, also allow multiple tools use the same keyboard shortcut. For example, "Alt-H" would call the appropriate help file, "ALT-C" would call the appropriate compiler...
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

Welcome to the forums, you'll fit right in here as you can see over here http://textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4857 ;)
Feel free to vote on it and post your comments or just put a link back to this thread!

Oh, and the mother load is over here http://textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3811&start=60
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be