Integration with TextPad

General questions about using WildEdit

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mo

Integration with TextPad

Post by mo »

I suggest that when WE is used as a tool in TextPad, bringing it up

1. populates the "test" field with the current file (as an option?)
2. locates the folder tree at the open folder

Possibly even populates the search and replace fields with the last search and replace in the TP search and replace dialog (someone has been trying to do a search and replace in TP and then opts to use WE).
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

I'll vote for that, every single detail.
On nr. 2, did you try Command Line Parameters - Path to initial folder, -f option?
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
ben_josephs

Re: Integration with TextPad

Post by ben_josephs »

Yes, but keep in mind that TextPad and WildEdit use different recognisers, and their notions of search string and replacement string are rather different.
mo wrote:Possibly even populates the search and replace fields with the last search and replace in the TP search and replace dialog
BenjiSmith

Post by BenjiSmith »

ben_josephs wrote:Yes, but keep in mind that TextPad and WildEdit use different recognisers, and their notions of search string and replacement string are rather different.
mo wrote:Possibly even populates the search and replace fields with the last search and replace in the TP search and replace dialog
That may be true now, but my guess is that the next major version of TextPad will use the same regex engine as WildEdit.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

BenjiSmith wrote:my guess is that the next major version of TextPad will use the same regex engine as WildEdit.
Good thing, too! We have a large application which relies heavily on extremely large regexes (thousands of bytes) generated programmatically. We use the Boost regex library, and, despite its faults, it's excellent.
Astorni

Post by Astorni »

I need the functionality of WildEdit, but I won't buy it, because:
- It is a separate software from Textpad (one more package to maintain)
- The syntax is different from Textpad. The fact that it is "better" is not as important, I don't want to remember which one allows me to find \n+
- I need to ask for a new software buy to my boss and to procurement people

On the other hand, I would be definitely willing to pay EUR 10 extra for upgrading to Textpad Plus, that includes the features of WildEdit, and uses the same regex engine