General Reactions, Misc

General questions about using WildEdit

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

mo

General Reactions, Misc

Post by mo »

Hello,

Ok I have it installed and have used it a couple of times.

The benchmark for me is http://www.funduc.com/ "Search and Replace"

If the above used a reasonable regex it would not otherwise be causing me to search out alternatives. S&R has no forum. Support is good but one cannot just ask about any regex that is giving a problem as one can on this forum. The other alternative is "Advanced Find and Replace" ( http://www.abacre.com/ )which is easy to use, but has some quirks and has no support to speak of and the forum is inactive.

I think there should be a replace all button in the main window as well as on the Toolbar, just seems everything is located there.

I don't see a "Find What" and "Replace What" memory. I would hope to see both a drop down memory of the most recently used finds and replaces and also something like the clip library for storing regex's etc.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
mo

Post by mo »

Bottom line is I would put up the 8.50 no problem for the forum here if the idea is to develop this tool just a little bit further.

Bob Hansen alerts me to the conversion to US bucks price at this minute being $15.62...if I wait a couple more days it will be in the 30s...
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
bgclarke

Post by bgclarke »

One thing that would be a "nice to have" feature:

In the log window, when you double click on a filename, have the option of loading it into Textpad (or some other editor). I've gotten used to that feature with Windows Grep.

Another thing might be an option to search, but not replace (I know this deviates from the general concept of WildEdit, but in my case I am looking for a replacement for Windows Grep as it seems support has pretty much dried up).
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

There was something bugging me about this statement and it finally dawned on me (my mind being "slower than an asmatic ant with some heavy weekend shopping"). I bought my TP license years ago and that was for version 4.x which is still the current version with full support. I would not really worry about investing in WE right now! :lol:
mo wrote:Bottom line is I would put up the 8.50 no problem for the forum here if the idea is to develop this tool just a little bit further.
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
mo

Post by mo »

Well I did buy it. The idea was more an expression of hope than a statement of a condition for purchase.

Right now I am using three tools for this job. I would hope I could end up with only one.
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds