Undo/Restore

General questions about using WildEdit

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

BenjiSmith

Undo/Restore

Post by BenjiSmith »

In the WildEdit user interface, the control-z command performs undo operations within the WildEdit search-text and replacement-text controls. So, if I accidentally wipe out a long, complex regex that I've been typing, I can get it back using control-z

That's nice.

But the undo command, in the Edit menu, doesn't perform the same operation. Instead, it restores all of my recently modified (search-and-replaced) files to their original state.

That's nice too.

But I think both features need a clearly delineated functionality. The first functionality is UNDO, and it should be available in the menu as UNDO or by using control-z. The second feature is RESTORE, and it should have it's own unique keyboard shortcut.
bbadmin
Site Admin

Post by bbadmin »

Thanks for your feedback.

The Undo command on the Edit menu could be considered as performing a restore, but that's really an implementation detail. It could have been implemented by storing the individual edits made to each file, so that they could be reversed - which is exactly how Undo is implemented for the edit controls. The shortcuts for Undo and Redo for the Replace All command are Shift+F9 and Ctrl+F9, as indicated on the Edit menu.

Keith MacDonald
Helios Software Solutions