Project management + 2 simple enhancements

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

lionelb

Project management + 2 simple enhancements

Post by lionelb »

First the easy ones:

1) In the document selector, it'd be nice if a click (or perhaps right-click) raised minimised windows

2) In "Find in files..." I would find it useful to be able to search all files in the current workspace

Now the big one: I'm sure this must have been requested before, but one feature which would really improve TextPad for me would be some form of simple project management facility - possibly as a replacement for the workspace feature - whereby one could store lists of file in a tree structure, perhaps a bit like in VC++. I note that many (to my mind inferior) editors such as UltraEdit, Crimson Editor and PSPad offer basic project management.
Lionel B
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

There is the "tree-view" poll over here http://textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4216
See also Jeffy's list for other Enhancement Suggestions over here http://textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3811&start=60
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

Lionel - I don't understand what you mean about project management. Could you please elaborate?

For me, the workspace works a treat already. Tree structures are already inherent in the existing filesystem. A lot of people (me included) support the enhancement request of displaying the workspace as a tree view (which would reflect the actual directory structure). Are you saying that this is not enough?

Why would you want a tree structure which differs from the directory structure? Or have I simply misunderstood you?

Jill
BenjiSmith

Post by BenjiSmith »

ramonsky wrote:Why would you want a tree structure which differs from the directory structure? Or have I simply misunderstood you?
Please bear with me while I read Lionel's mind...

Sometimes it could be nice to use a non-filesystem tree structure to organize files for a particular project. Like, for example, you might want to......

Hmmmmm.

I know that this is a feature I've been very interested in, myself, when working on past projects. But I can't remember any specific examples right now.

I'll post something as soon as I think of it....
lionelb

Post by lionelb »

ramonsky wrote:Lionel - I don't understand what you mean about project management. Could you please elaborate?
I think I mean the following: the point about workspaces is that all files in a workspace are by definition open in TextPad. If a file is not open it does not appear in the document selector. Now If I am programming, I frequently want instant access - via the document selector - to maybe a few dozen files. But it is unwieldy and cluttered to have so many files open at once. I would therefore like the document selector to be able to display a selection of not-necessarily-open files - a project - organised in some sensible fashion (preferably a tree view). A click or double-click would then open a project file.

Many (most?) programmer's editors (VC++, UltraEdit, PSPad, Crimson Editor, ...) already implement precisely such a scheme.
ramonsky wrote:Why would you want a tree structure which differs from the directory structure? Or have I simply misunderstood you?
Jill
I might indeed want the tree structure to differ from the directory structure. For reasons (often beyond one's control) the directory structure frequently does not reflect the logical stucture of a programming project.

It would be pleasant to have a choice of displayed structure. Thus e.g. I might want sometimes to organise files in a project under "folders" representing source, headers, resources,... or I might wish to organise files according to some other natural modular structure of the project.

Hope this clarifies my request.
Lionel B