Textpad is the Best

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Jesus_H_Christ

Textpad is the Best

Post by Jesus_H_Christ »

I remember I used to make fun of my old boss for using Textpad (Back when I used XEmacs) but of course I end up buying and using it myself for everything.

Why I like TextPad:

- Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity! Because TextPad follows GUI standards that have been in place on Windows for years it is very easy to figure out how to use.

- Good tab support. It is surprisingly difficult to find an editor that let's me just use plain and simple 4-space tab character tabs. TextPad doesn't bully me around in my syntax structure either by either forcing me to use certain commenting styles or taking over control of tabs entirely.

- User friendly MDI interface. It's is much easier to point and click than to cycle through buffers and split windows

- Super fast loading time! The worst thing in the world about using XEmacs or huge IDE's is waiting for them to load. Even on my 3ghz machine I have to wait nearly 8 seconds for XEmacs to load.

- Easy to configure. It's great not to have to play around with massively large configuration lists, type in commands, or edit configuration code to change simple options. I was also very happy with the fact that I could switch around most of the navigational keys to an EMacs style to make myself feel more comfortable.

- Easy to extend. With TextPad you can figure out how to add-on any piece of software that takes command line options in no time at all.

So in conclusion I am happy that I purchased TextPad. It is the best no BS software development editor out there.
Justin R. Tunney
zridling

UltraEdit is far more robust, though

Post by zridling »

Like Jesus, I love TextPad. Everything it has implemented, it has done well and in extremely efficient ways. In other words, as a user, I'm clicking once or twice rather than 3, 4, or 6 times for most features and functions. But if you want real power in a text/hex editor, check out UltraEdit. Everything about it is customizable - everything; it's solid as a rock, fast as lightning, and like TextPad, it's easy to get hooked. I use TextPad on the road, and UltraEdit at home. I recommend TextPad for light duty uses, but for the heavy lifting, UltraEdit still wins by five furlongs.
s_reynisson

Post by s_reynisson »

err... can you give me an example about TP being to "powerless" and thus what
made you use UE? I know about the hex-edit feature but that's not a problem
for me since there are plenty of freeware hex-editors out there and configuring
them as a tool in TP is a breeze. It's what I like most about TP, it sticks with
working with text files, not hex or macro-languages etc. It's simple like me ;)

Also, since you know both "worlds", I'd really like your opinion on UE's next version
feature nicked "Phone home". An anti piracy scheme. Some UE users are quite angry
about this, see this thread over at the UltraEdit Discussion Forum, but take care,
language can be strong! I have a feeling Helios will have to make up their minds
about this, a discussion now about this in reference to TP might be a good thing.
Then I open up and see
the person fumbling here is me
a different way to be
mo

Post by mo »

What I'd like to know is what is Jesus doing using a text editor? And I wonder how calling home would work in that case?
Best Wishes!
Mike Olds
dmerrill

Re: UltraEdit is far more robust, though

Post by dmerrill »

zridling wrote:But if you want real power in a text/hex editor, check out UltraEdit. Everything about it is customizable - everything; it's solid as a rock, fast as lightning, and like TextPad, it's easy to get hooked.
Does UE do syntax highlighting for a variety of languages, and let you create your own? Last I looked, I thought it supported some built-in languages, but that's all. Did I misunderstand, or am I out of date?

Thanks
dmerrill

Post by dmerrill »

Uh, way out of date, or more likely just out of my mind/misremembering. There are a ton of wordfiles (their name for syntax files) up at the UE site. Less sure about support for creating your own.
Tom Simon

TextPad is terrific!

Post by Tom Simon »

I agree -- TextPad is one of the best software packages that I use, or have ever used. Others that I like incude Palm Desktop and Agent.