XP-style toolba icons, plus a button to "pin" Text

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

JML

XP-style toolba icons, plus a button to "pin" Text

Post by JML »

The icons are badly in need of updating, to XP-style icons -- this is most apparent when they're enlarged on the toolbars, as several seem to have never been intended for close scrutiny! It would be nice to have three options for size (the large ones are too large, and the small are too small), and to be able to toggle between icons/icons&titles. And why not provide the ability to make a user-defined toolbar, instead of just modifying the existing set?

I would also love to have a button to "pin" Textpad on top of other windows, without the need to go through several steps to change the view setting to "always on top."
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

XP-style-Icons? Never!

I do NOT want Teletubby-style icons!
webmasta

Post by webmasta »

I do NOT want Teletubby-style icons!
:lol: How about a little helper knocking on the screen like MS Frontpage.garbage.tm
MudGuard

Post by MudGuard »

How about a little helper knocking on the screen like MS Frontpage.garbage.tm
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

FEWER icons = more workspace....YES!

Forget development time on icons.
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

"Pinning" ay?

This actually gives me an idea... Anyone know Visio (I have XP, not sure what previous versions this is in)? You can "pin" a toolbar to a side/top/bottom of the screen. When you move your mouse away from it, it disappears (except for a title bar). When you move over the title bar it opens again.

How about this very cool behaviour for clip books and document selector?

Neat idea, me thinks.
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

Bah, just turn off the toolbars! That's my solution for more space. Me, I'd be ambivalent on the pinable windows. I wasn't particularly a fan of them on Unix apps and have yet to find them useful in Visual Studio.
sezz

Re: XP-style toolba icons, plus a button to "pin"

Post by sezz »

JML wrote:The icons are badly in need of updating, to XP-style icons -- this is most apparent when they're enlarged on the toolbars, as several seem to have never been intended for close scrutiny! It would be nice to have three options for size (the large ones are too large, and the small are too small), and to be able to toggle between icons/icons&titles. And why not provide the ability to make a user-defined toolbar, instead of just modifying the existing set?

I would also love to have a button to "pin" Textpad on top of other windows, without the need to go through several steps to change the view setting to "always on top."
you mean something like this? (office 2003 style, not xp)
but i don't like large icons, keep them as small as they are...

http://www.textpad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4138
ramonsky

Post by ramonsky »

JML wrote:...the small are too small
No they're not! The smaller the better. Smaller icons = more workspace.
Agreeing with Bob here.

That said, whilst I'd be a little disappointed if the TextPad team spent valuable development time on icons instead of features, I'd have no objection whatsoever if JML or some other TP user were to design them. I doubt it would take the developers much time to replace one set of pre-exisitng icons with another.

Jill