Working with workspaces

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

ChibiGuy

Working with workspaces

Post by ChibiGuy »

When I save my workspace, and reopen it, no files are re-opened up, only a blank screen shows up.

What is causing the problem here?
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

I am hoping that you are not closing the documents in the workspace before you save the workspace, correct? That's gotta be too obvious.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

Even if you save the workspace, and then close your documents, doesn't that update the workspace?

I think if you want to reopen a workspace later, you gotta either save AS another workspace name (and then you can close your documents in the current one, if any is currently open), OR you can (non-save-as) save your workspace, but not close your documents before exiting TextPad.
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Even if you save the workspace, and then close your documents, doesn't that update the workspace?
Yes, but if you close the documents first, and then save the workspace, the documents are no longer in the workspace.
Hope this was helpful.............good luck,
Bob
helios

Post by helios »

Please ensure that you are not using the Close All command to close the files in the Workspace. This will effectively empty the Workspace, so that when you exit from TextPad there is nothing being saved, and consequently nothing in the Workspace the next time you open it. Closing files individually from the Workspace will also have the same effect.

Remember that a workspace is the state of the set of files you are working on at any time. Files can only be added to the Workspace by opening them, and removed by closing them.
Helios Software Solutions
raboehm47

Post by raboehm47 »

When I open a workspace that contains a file on a mapped network drive and that drive is not currently mapped, the file (of course) does not open and it is deleted from the workspace. How can I prevent it from being deleted from the workspace? Can the automatic workspace save be turned off with a preference setting? Thanks.
ben_josephs

Post by ben_josephs »

1. Do not close TextPad (yet).

2.a. File | Workspace | Save As... Then copy and paste the *.tws file.

2.b. Or, if your version of Windows won't let you do that:
from outside TextPad (e.g., from a command prompt or from Explorer) copy the *.tws file to something else.

3. Close TextPad.

4. From outside TextPad, copy or move the *.tws file back.

5. Complain to Helios that you can't NOT save the worksapce. :-)
raboehm47

Post by raboehm47 »

ben_josephs,

Thank you for your quick reply. Both 2a and 2b worked! I will consider 5.

Bob