Multi-file searches

Ideas for new features

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

Xanthe

Multi-file searches

Post by Xanthe »

when performing a search and checking "in all documents" I would like to see the file with the first match come into focus if it is not in the current document.

so for example if i have file1 and file2 open and i am currently editing file1.
if i search for something "in all documents", if the first match is found in file2, the focus of the program should change to file2 and I should see the first match highlighted.

The "in all documents" search should start with the first file in the list of opened files (not the current file), and next should cycle to the next match, bringing the document with the next match into focus.
Angryguy

Post by Angryguy »

I agree, at first I thought there was a bug in textPad (which I think this might count as anyway) that it wasn't actually searching all files. I double checked though, and it seems that it does find/select the text in the other files, it just doesn't tell or show you in which files. I am using version 4.7.1 btw.

This makes the search "in all documents" feature virtually useless when your dealing with a large number of files. In my case, I normally have a minimum of 10 files open at once, often quite a bit more.

If Xanthe's suggestions (which would be good) can't be easily incorporated into the next release, perhaps the find box can at the very least give some sort of indication to which files the search term was found in. For example list the files in a pop-up window, the status bar, or even an added results box to the search window (like in Windows File Search).

One last suggestion to this end, but I think this would fall more into the realm of it's own feature request. Add some way for a particular file to be bookmarked or highlighted (ie: manually, or from search results) so that important or resulting files can be quickly located in a long list of open files. Alternatively, perhaps the Documents Selector List could be re-arranged and divided into sub-groups (similar idea as sections in the Toolbar).
jeffy

Post by jeffy »

I think the Search menu-->Jump previous/next is exactly what you're looking for. Assign a key command to it, if you like.
mattcase

Search Results

Post by mattcase »

The solution that I would like to see implemented is to display the results of the search in 'Search Results' just like they are when you do a 'Find in Files'.

Or,

Add an option to 'Find in Files' that allows me to search all open documents.