Word Perfect Help

General questions about using TextPad

Moderators: AmigoJack, bbadmin, helios, Bob Hansen, MudGuard

dbonevt

Word Perfect Help

Post by dbonevt »

I have microsoft office installed on my work pc. I need to read a .wps file, which I think is word perfect. Microsoft Word, Notepad, and WordPad all open it with a bunch of garbage. Will TextPad handle this or any other suggestions are welcome. I thought Word handled this, so am I doing something wrong or what???

Thanks,

Dave
Annapolis, MD
talleyrand

Post by talleyrand »

If I'm not mistaken, WPS is the Microsoft Works file extension which doesn't play nicely with Word. What you'd need is something handy like a Works to Word converter.

Or, you can completely dump Work and Works and start using LaTeX for which Textpad performs beautifully. ;)
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

If you install the converter from Microsoft, then you can select the Type when you do File, Open.

In the "Files of type" field at the bottom, you will be able to select *.wps for different versions of Works.
dbonevt

Post by dbonevt »

Thanks for the help guys. I just downloaded the converter and install went fine. I followed the directions and still got garbage in Word. If any of you guys have an email address and would like to give it a shot, let me know. It's not life or death, just an invitation to a friend's grand opening. I can't get a hold of them to see if they can send me a different file or even to find out when it is. Is there a way to post a file on this thing?
Bob Hansen

Post by Bob Hansen »

Have you tried changing fonts? Sometimes will make a big difference.

What version of Word and/or Office are you using?
What is file name of converter you used? From what site?

Would like to see results in my system. Send me your email address in a message so I can send you mine so you can send as an attachment to me.
dbonevt

versions

Post by dbonevt »

I'm using Office 2000.

My email address is dbonevt@yahoo.com

Thanks!